Magnetic Graduate problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WWorkman

I recently purchased a few Magnetic graduate rollerball kits from a vendor (won't name them just yet) I ordered the kits and the the recommended 10.5mm and 12.5mm drill bits plus bushings. I get the kits and drill one set of blanks and go to put the tubes in, and Whoa! the tubes are way under sized. Digital caliper reads them to be 9.8mm and 11.5mm outer dia. they do not fit on the bushings either. I can get no response from the vendor (phone or email) Next I order tubes from PSI for the kits, I get them however the parts do not fit the PSI tubes for magnetic graduate, internal diameter is too big. Is there some generic version of PSI's magnetic graduate out there? It looks like the only way I can use the kits is to try and make my own bushings and use the tubes that came with the kits and different drill bits. By the way the vendors instructions on their site are PSI's instructions for the kit, so at the least that is perplexing. I am open to any suggestions to solve this problem.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Turn between centers. No bushings and use your caliper for most precise measurement you can possible get. The more you do pen turning the more you do not rely on instructions, bushing size, drill bit size. You measure everything especially if starting a new brand or a new kit. Way too many kits out there and they all have their own specs. Good luck. :)

WWorkman

Thanks all for the info, that seems to make more sense. Now if the vendor would respond, the info on their site could be corrected so one would know that these are knock off kits and the specs are not the same as PSI's pen kit.

triw51

Turn between centers. No bushings and use your caliper for most precise measurement you can possible get. The more you do pen turning the more you do not rely on instructions, bushing size, drill bit size. You measure everything especially if starting a new brand or a new kit. Way too many kits out there and they all have their own specs. Good luck. :)

I do not follow instructions for drill bits anymore I had the same problem where the tube did not fit the hole. Now I have a nice set of quality drill bits and measure the tubes with calipers to match with the drill bit. The other thing I noticed is the drill bits you get with the kits have a wobble to them giving you a bigger hole.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks all for the info, that seems to make more sense. Now if the vendor would respond, the info on their site could be corrected so one would know that these are knock off kits and the specs are not the same as PSI's pen kit.

Some of the newer vendors don't find it necessary to have instructions. And, Rizheng does not help the situation by using names that are already established for pens that are NOT the same.

However, if we never name the vendors, the problem is unlikely to be solved.

FWIW,
Ed
(not the vendor in question, I rename any pens that are not the same as the established PSI, CSUSA or Berea products.)

WWorkman

The kits I purchased came from a site named Penkits.biz based in Arkansas I have sent them emails and called and left msgs. Doesn't matter what time you call, all you get is voicemail. I was polite in my inquiries so that is not the reason for no return calls or emails.

Dan Masshardt

The kits I purchased came from a site named Penkits.biz based in Arkansas I have sent them emails and called and left msgs. Doesn't matter what time you call, all you get is voicemail. I was polite in my inquiries so that is not the reason for no return calls or emails.

I believe that's a site that everybody in the know avoids completely. In general, stick ton the vendors with quality reputations. Of which there are quite a few.

Top Bottom