madrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctwxlvr

are mandrels from different companies the same in diameter? I know one has a a and b size but other than that can I use one set of bushings from another company on a Woodcraft pro mandrel? not sure of the size of the mandrel at the minute as I don't have a set of calipers yet, I am still slowly getting all the tools I need so far about a grand into the addiction.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

les-smith

From what I know all A mandrels are the same size and all B mandrels are the same size. Doesn't matter who makes them. Woodcrafts only sells kits that use the A mandrel, pretty sure. They sell the Screw Cap Flat Top American Pen and the Woodcrafts bushings are made for the A mandrel. If you buy the same kit from Arizona Silhoutte they use the bushings made for the B mandrel. I really like the kits that use the B mandrel bushings much more stable.

its_virgil

"A" mandrel bushings can be reamed to fit the "B" mandrel and make all kits more stable when turning. I've done this and really like the way the larger mandrel works. Only Berea sells both A and B mandrels hence Arizona silhouette selling them also and maybe other Berea resellers. Woodcraft also resells Berea kits but they have all bushings to fit on the A mandrel. There may be just a very very little difference between ddifferent company's mandrels but I've mixed and matched all of them and somethimes I had to run a drill bit inside the bushings from company X to work on company y's mandrel.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by les-smith
<br />From what I know all A mandrels are the same size and all B mandrels are the same size. Doesn't matter who makes them. Woodcrafts only sells kits that use the A mandrel, pretty sure. They sell the Screw Cap Flat Top American Pen and the Woodcrafts bushings are made for the A mandrel. If you buy the same kit from Arizona Silhoutte they use the bushings made for the B mandrel. I really like the kits that use the B mandrel bushings much more stable.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hate to disagree, but Penn State kits use a smaller diameter 7mm than anyone else. Their 7mm kits will not fit on an A mandrel, unless you sand the mandrel down a couple thousandths first.

its_virgil

I ream PSI bushings to fit the "A" mandrel...well actually I ream most all bushings for the "A" or 7mm mandrel to fit the B mandrel.., Actually I use very few PSI kits. I do like their slimlines but I've had problems with the last 100 kits with the clip finial fitting too loosely. I do wish Berea would redesign the slimline clip, but I think I must be in the minority on that.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Hate to disagree, but Penn State kits use a smaller diameter 7mm than anyone else. Their 7mm kits will not fit on an A mandrel, unless you sand the mandrel down a couple thousandths first.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don,

Didn't mean to be argumentative. The PSI 7mm slimline is available in TN gold-color plating. So, I use it. The 7mm tubes won't fit a standard mandrel. You are, of course, absolutely correct about making the bushings fit for any PSI "Parker" designs, where there is not a tight fit between the tubes and the mandrel!![:)][:)][:)][:)]

mick

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Hate to disagree, but Penn State kits use a smaller diameter 7mm than anyone else. Their 7mm kits will not fit on an A mandrel, unless you sand the mandrel down a couple thousandths first.

That's odd Ed, I use almost exclusively the fancy TN gold slimlines from Woodturningz, which are PSI kits and have never had any trouble fitting them on my 7mm mandrels from Wood Craft. All my bushing come from WC also, except kits the don't carry that is.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Maybe my kits are old???????

Bought 200 last year, they fit my "specially sanded" woodcraft mandrel, only.

But, if it is working for you (Employ Gilda Radner voice here) "NEVER MIND!!"

KenV

And you already knew that the a-mandrel was sized the same as "d" size drill rod and the B-mandrel was sized the same as "m" size drill rod.

And if you do not want to thread the ends to 1/4 by 20 threads you can put them into a collet chuck or lock them down with a set screw -

And you can use a sleeve with a set screw instead of threading the end -

So -- to drill out bushings, if you have a collet chuck or a really good machinist jacobs chuck you can use a "d" drill or "m" drill out of your drill set to open up a tight bushing......

tas2181

Now that you all have Tracy perceiving that you need a mandrel from each manufacturer, I will add my nickel (used to be 2 cents-inflation). I have 4 "A" mandrels, 2 PSI and 2 Berea. They all measure the same (.244") according to my calipers. I do not have a Woodcraft or CSUSA mandrel to compare.
I believe there is a bigger variance in the bushings diameters (inside measurement)from lot to lot than there is in the mandrels.
(Maybe I've just been lucky?)

mick

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Just wait till he buys the next one and it's different. Heck I have tape wrapped around mine to keep it centered.

Gary, Don't jinx me! [:D]
I just ordered quite a few from Ryan yesterday!

Randy_

PSI mandrel = 0.243"
CSUSA mandrel = 0.246"
Berea "A" = 0.247" tol. -0.002
Berea "B" = 0.291" tol. -0.002
(Above per manufacturers published specs)

I've turned a number of PSI slimlines on the Berea "A" mandrel without a problem and only had one bushing that was just a tad tight. A few minutes work with some 600 grit sandpaper <u>on the bushing</u> solved the problem.

Note that the threads on the TS end of commercially made mandrels is 1/4" x 28 tpi. Also note that that the HS thread on Woodcraft mandrels is 10 x 32 and "WILL NOT" fit arbors of other manufacturers.

KenV

Randy -- I just checked and the high precision mandrel that I have in the Beal Collet Chuck is threaded 1/4 by 20 National Coarse threads. Most of those in the drawer are 1/4 by 28 -- just not the high precision ones nor the newer style bottle stopper mandrels. I do not have any wood craft mandrels.

Randy_

If I were the person at Berea making the design decisions, I would have used the same threading on both mandrels(1/4x28) and used the knurled brass "nut" on the HP system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom