Macassar Ebony - To crack or not to crack?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

I am by no means an expert on wood, but from what Ive been lead to believe, any ebony, or African blackwood, can, and usually do, split.

I might be very far off track, and if I am, I apologize, but this is what I have heard.

Snake wood is another wood that splits. This I know from personal experience. I made a snake wood pen for myself about a month and a half ago. Today I looked at it and found a small crack near the end grain.

I hope this helps you ...

woodpens

The ebony that I have had trouble with is Gaboon or Gabon Ebony. I have not had any trouble with Blackwood cracking. I use Blackwood instead of Ebony now. I don't recall turning any Macassar Ebony yet.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Macassar ebony is not as prone to splitting as Gaboon (Nigerian) ebony. It grows in a very different ecological environment and thus is more accepting in climactic changes. African blackwood (actually a true rosewood) is one of the less oily rosewoods. It is also not particularly prone to cracking. Both macassar ebony and African blackwood are often used as tone woods for musical instruments, a use which would be prohibitive were they as susceptible to splitting as Gaboon ebony.

J. Fred Muggs

I second Lou's comment. I've done five or six maccassar ebony - none have cracked so far. out of three gaboon or Nigerian ebony (the really black one) two have cracked - one a minor crack, one major.

53Jim

SEE... I told you I was no expert. I did make a few pens out of African black wood, and they all developed cracks. It's probably just my bad luck.

May your luck be better.

wayneis

Jim any wood will crack if the conditions aren't right. African black wood usually doesen't crack but if they were a touch wet, to much heat or you were sold black ebony by mistake then it can happen.

Wayne

patsfan

be real careful about heat buildup while drilling, gluing, and finishing.

(I would stay away from ca/accelerator for this reason.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom