Macassar ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I just had a request for some pens turned from Macassar ebony. I know that Gaboon ebony is quite prone to cracking, so I'm a little nervous. Is Macassar ebony just as likely to crack or is it a bit more stable? Any tips for not screwing these up would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

All the dense woods tend to be sensitive to heat because they hold moisture so well so long. Find some that has been around a long while, keep it from getting hot while drilling and turning, and warn the recipient that cracking is possible, but refinishing can be done.

Ebony is not a sensitive to cracking as snakewood can be -- and both can be turned without cracking -- some of the time.

spnemo

I have not had any problems with it. Turns nicely and takes a CA finish. I love to turn Macassar Ebony!

Dustygoose

Macassar ebony is very less prone to cracking than Gaboon. I have some spalted Macassar and it did not crack, It's my wife's daily driver for a year and a half

Jeff Barnett

Macassar Ebony is not a brittle as Gabon Ebony. Thus, it will be less likely to crack. Be careful though....its dust it can be very irritating to your skin and even more irritating to your lungs.

Top Bottom