M3 Sanding/Finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If this has been asked before - my apologies!

Just finished turning a M3 Blank to bushing size - went fine.

I have dry sanded 180-600 and looks fine. Before I take it off, I thought I'd ask how do others finish this blank.

Mine will be a Majestic Junior Rhodium, so don't want to do a hurry job when an extra few minutes will make it better.

This is my first time with M3.. So far I am liking it!

Gave away my carry pen last week... Hmnnn.. too big?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
No, I did not order the compounds...:mad:

So... Do what you can, with what you have!

I finished the pen with: Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound; Turtle Wax Polishing Compound; and Renaissance Wax.

Truth be told... I really like the way it came out!

The blank turned very easily; wet sanding/polishing went well; final finish went fine.

In the picture, if you notice no clip... this was missing from the kit (I'll e-mail tomorrow). It doesn't matter to me as this is now my new carry pen! and I have no use for a clip.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 188

rblakemore

I like the M3

Good job on the M3, and very creative, I would not have thought about using Turtle Wax or Renaissance Wax. I have made 2 and like the way M3 turns, I do suggest that if you make more that you obtain the M3 polishes. I do like the idea of the Ren Wax though.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Good job on the M3, and very creative, I would not have thought about using Turtle Wax or Renaissance Wax. I have made 2 and like the way M3 turns, I do suggest that if you make more that you obtain the M3 polishes. I do like the idea of the Ren Wax though.

Yup! I will be getting the "proper" polishes. But, I used the pen today at work and it's very nice as is! It can be better with the better polishes, so I'll go for that! I was pleased with how it turned, and the look is very different - I like it!

carlmorrell

I have a M3 (first time) blank on the lathe, and have been looking for the last half hour for the "M3 premium polish". Too much crap in my garage.

So is the M3 polish, really superior to micro mesh?

Top Bottom