M3 Metal Composite Blanks - Anyone Use

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

A friend wants me to make a pen using the a M3 Metal Composite Blank. Specifically, one of the solid metal blanks.

Are there any turners out there that have used this material and if so, what are your experiences in turning it on a wood lathe?

I use carbide tipped lathe tools, does that present a problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have done a pile of them. You will be fine.

Just make sure you keep your tools sharp (maybe rotate to a fresh edge) and use the polish that comes with it.

Katya

+1 to what Fibonacci says. I would add to take light cuts, and be patient. I didn't like breathing in the dust that it produces, so I used a mask. Also sanded off the corners before starting to turn. I also ended up using a separate set of sanding papers for the material, but you may not feel the need to do this.
Have fun- they are spectacular blanks and worth the effort!

ashaw

What everyone said above. The solid colors are not as nice once completed. There are best to use for accents. Be sure to use the polishing creams that come with them.

Southwest

I've only done one so far but the experience reminded me of a brittle acrylic. I use a carbide tool and it just wanted to chip out on me. Take your time and get it as smooth as possible before using their polishing compounds and it will turn out great. My wife wont go anywhere without hers.

Top Bottom