M3 blanks question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Hello. I saw some M3 blanks at my local Woodcraft and I'm really intrigued by them. My question is, why should I shell out $30 for a single M3 blank? Does anyone here who has turned them think that they look a lot better or more metal-like than, say, alumalite blanks or metallic PR blanks? I'd like to buy an M3 to try out, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what makes it worth buying. Any help is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

I turned a Damascus Steel blank last month and paired with a Jr. Statesman for my dad as a Christmas gift. It turned out very nice and is a unique look. I posted pictures on here, you may be able to find them in a search. This particular blank has some sparkley specks in it that look neat when you handle the pen. As for if it's worth the $30... only you can decide. I wasn't drawn enough by it to go make one for myself yet, but then I tend to like more flash to my pens. I'll probably make one someday just so I have it for my personal collection. It was easy to turn, but created a lot of dust. You also need special polish, you can't use plastic polish on it.

IPD_Mrs

Well that is all going to depend on which blank you are talking about. Like you some of them I don't really care for. Others, such as Damascus Steel, Blank and White Mokume and the Cobalt Mokume are very very nice. The have a different feel than the PR blanks do. Take a good look at Richard's site. He is a long standing member of IAP that has been offering these for quite some time. http://randbcrafts.com/m3-metal-blanks.html Several of the blanks will show a completed pen when you click on the blank. Many of these completed pens are from members of IAP. My honest opinion is they are worth the investment if you are selling higher end pens $100 and up.

Also, Richard does have sales now and again. Although if you are looking for something right away that probably isn't a high percentage chance as he just had a really good sale recently. It may (or may not be since that would be his choice clearly) a bit before the next sale?? :)

Last edited:

turff49

For me, I think they are worth it. I've been carrying my personal one for about 3 years now and it looks as good now as it did the day I made it. They are unique and different than any other and do have a little heft. Only thing I can say is get one, try it, and if you don't care for it sell it to someone and make your money back.
Brian

Dave_M

BTW these are a lot easier to turn with a Wood Chuck.

I agree wholeheartedly!!!

I love the M3 blanks. Not cheap but one I made recently sold fast and sold for a lot more than any pen I have ever sold. I actually thought that pen would never sell because of my asking price. I loved it, so it was no big deal to me if it didn't sell. Barely had it a week and it was gone.

dl351

Well, I may just have to pay the "big bucks" and buy a blank. I guess my only real concern is that it will just look like a cast metallic blank. I have a few PR blanks from Exotics, and I don't really want to pay almost ten times as much for something that doesn't look much more like metal. I guess I'm just looking for people to convince me to buy one!

Dave_M

I hear what you're saying. I thought the same thing when I bough my first M3 and frankly I'm still quite shocked I sold that pen because I can't sell anything for more than $60 around here. People around here often choke on their coffee when they hear my prices and I'm cheap.

The solids I can see being a tough sell. The patterned blanks like the black & white or the cobalt look great with the right kit. As with everything else, who knows if it will sell well for you. If I can turn an M3 blank into a $300 pen, in an area where a $60 pen is a hard sell, there must be something to it.

Another way I talked myself into a $30 blank was the fact that I wanted to try it at least once. Fortunately for me I really liked the finished product and then just to top it off... so did one of my best customers.

beck3906

I believe you should go for it. Customers love stories or something interesting about the pens or materials.

As mentioned on other posts recently, having a high-dollar pen makes your other pens look more appealing.

Also, you can tell the high-end shoppers they are buying a pen using materials that were basically vaporized to the molecular level and then reconstituted. This process is the pre-cursor to what you've seen on Star Trek and the transporters used on the show.

The process also produces metal products used on space systems.

Top Bottom