Luthier Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carsonbm

I don't know what makes this wood good for music instruments, will someone explain it for me. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JerrySambrook

Luthier woods have very consistant,nicely structured grain throughout. This usually helps the wood to have a nice tone to it.
They usually have a very pleasing pattern to the grain structure, and are virtually free of defects

Now. as far as someone calling a specific tree luthier wood, I do not know about it.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Most luthier wood is quarter sawn, meaning each piece is cut as a radius through the center of the tree so the grain pattern will always be regular. Helps with stability of the thin pieces, enables forming and bending, and control of tone. Unless there was a reason for this type of grain in a design, it has limited added value for pens.

PenMan1

Quarter sawn fiddleback maple is a favorite with violinist and cellists. Acoustic guitarist like Canadian Spruce tops and Mahogany sides and backs. The fret boards should always be rosewood or ebony (a few customers may request maple necks on electric guitars). Solid body electric guitars, similar to "Stratocaster" are almost always made of alder ash. Many electrics are made with a very thin laminate of figured maple over the ash. (to cut cost here, one USA guitar company uses a colored "water slide" decal of fancy maple over the ash)!

There are four grades of luthier wood: Expensive, ridiculously expensive, you are kidding me expensive, and "you'll never get that kind of money from me" expensive. The grading is the number of defects in the board which effects the "voice" of the instrument. A near perfect violin set may well set you back $500 or more.

The key to instrument making IS selecting the right wood "cured" slowly at a perfect humidity level. This allows the thin wood to keep its strength, keeps down warping, splitting, check, cracking and improves tonality. The better the piece of wood, the more care it is given during the cure process. This is still hand work (by craftsman) and it takes a long time. THAT is why luthier wood is so expensive. It also ain't worth spit for pen making.

Grizzly tools sells some decent luthier woods at somewhat reasonable prices. Be sure to order "book matched" panels. AND ABOVE ALL GET ALL THE WOOD YOU NEED AT THE SAME TIME FROM THE SAME SUPPLIER. It is nearly impossible to "go back" and try to match a wood grain from another lot. And "mixing" wood lots will likely make the instrument sound "goofy".

Oh yeah, and balsa or bass wood does a good job for framing and bracing.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Or.... You could just google Martin Guitar Kit

Martin guitars sells a good quality kit made from the same materials as their famous guitars. Many of the parts are pre sawn and the kit is MUCH easier for the amateur luthier.

Top Bottom