Lurker about to pounce!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! As you can see this is my first post of many I'm sure! I've been lurking here for a while and am gonna give this pen turning thing a shot! My 13 year old daughter has always hung in the shop with me and has a bowl or 2 under her belt! She's wants to start joining in on the craft show thing and i thought it be a great item she could make and sell along with other things! The girl is extreamly creative. What can i say! She takes after her father :D. Any hints where we can start? I'm gonna have to buy off the internet seeing as we have nothing like a Woodcraft or anything in the state of New Jersey. What kind of pen is a good to learn on? Maybe a short list on what i need to buy to get started? I've already have a lathe and a mountain of blanks i've been saving! Any help would be great!Thanks in advance, Kurt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Most people stat with slim lines, cigars are another cheap kit to start with. Craft Supplies USA and Berea are both good brands.
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/ has great prices on Berea slimlines 1.59 and Cigars 2.95

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
My two cents worth--
- Read Russ Fairfield's site http://woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html . He also sells an excellent video that expands on the text on pictures at the site.
- Call Bill Baumbeck at www.arizonasilhouette.com and get him to give you his "data dump" on pen turning. He also has a great 2 hour video for sale.
- Visit the following websites, bookmark their pages and order their catalogs.
- www.woodturnerscatalog.com
- www.woodcraft.com
- www.pennstateind.com (Also, order their FREE video)
- Visit the following websites and bookmark their pages
- www.pocwoodworking.com
- www.woodturningz.com

<b>Read this site regularly!</b>

There's a whole lot more, but this will get you started.

Welcome to The IAP. We're glad you're here!

JimGo

Kurt, where in NJ are you? If you're close to NE Philly, Penn State Industries has a retail store over that way. The guys there are VERY helpful (as are the other suppliers Lou listed); I've been there a few times. You can avoid paying shipping by going there which, depending on what you're buying, can easily offset the cost of gas. Plus, if you go there, they often have equipment and sale goods that aren't on the web site.

JimGo

Whoops...just saw where you are. Nice area of NJ (my home state - I'm from Blackwood)! Kind of a long drive, but may be worthwhile, just so you can take in all of the different equipment, supplies, etc., that are available.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you have been lurking you should have absorbed a lot by osmosis already.
If you go to the HOME PAGE and click on disciussions there are a number of forums to give you a good while of reading(or your daughter)
When you hit upon a question or topic the "Search" won't find,there are a lot of us here that can guide you to the answer.
One of the best ways is to learn by mistakes.

(I found fishing creek N.J.( GOD bless Google! have you thought of taking up fishing?)
You can't get much farther south in N.J. and still have dry feet!The only road out of town leads to Philly, penn state might be your best bet until you get your feet wet,NPI[:D]

atvrules1

I don't think I can add anything to what has already been said Kurt, other than......good luck and have fun. We anxiously wait for photos. (both from you and daughter.)

GregD

- www.pennstateind.com (Also, order their FREE video)

Kurt,
If you want this video, let me know. I have a copy that has never been opened. Just send me your mailing address and I'll get it out to you.

MDWine

Ya just gotta love this site! IAP Rules!
Welcome Kurt! (are there any laws governing getting children addicted to pen turning? [;)] ) This pen turning thing can be a problem! I haven't been in the living room for ages, and usually only speak to my wife on the phone from the basement shop! (no wonder she's been so cheery!)

Lou, thanks for the list. Nice to have them lined up like that!!
Jim... think about this.... ROAD TRIP!!! (lol...[:D][}:)][;)])

Have fun, Kurt, and don't forget the pictures!! We love our pictures!!!

JimGo

Michael, with as addicted to pen turning as you've become (welcome home!), I don't think "road trip" is the appropriate term. I think "pilgrimidge" would be more appropriate!

Kurt, I'll also second the recommendation for Bill B's video. The free PSI video covers a lot of the basics, and for an experienced turner like yourself, it may be all that's necessary. But for slower people like me, Bill's video is great. He goes through pen making from the "you got a blank in the mail" stage to drilling, gluing, turning, finishing, and assembly. It is a very worthwhile purchase for any novice pen turner.

Finally, I think Collucci Lumber is still in the Malaga area, which isn't TOO far from you. IIRC, they had some exotics as well as domestic hardwoods, and if you don't already have the appropriate raw materials, they may be a good place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom