Lump in my pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KCW

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so I hope this is in the right place. I recently made a pen out of a PR blank that I cast, and after the pen was done, a few days later, a lump stuck out of the side of it. Has this happened to anyone else, and what am I doing wrong to cause this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Dan, was it just solid PR or was there anything embedded in it? I've had several blanks that were made of disparate materials that expand and contract differently that the main PR.

A picture would help, as Mike said.

KCW

It is solid resin and it didn't happen until a few days later. I took some photos of the pen, but you just can't see the lumps (they aren't terribly big, but definitely noticeable when you run your finger over them). This was my first acrylic pen, and didn't paint the inside of the blank, and used CA to glue the tube. These pics aren't great, but you can kind of see it on the left side of the close up.
20150108_122625.jpg

20150108_122642.jpg

thewishman

The only times I has trouble with PR was when I left pens in a way-too-hot car in a black binder with tight elastic bands. Those were dents, though, not lumps.

Was the resin fully cured when you turned it? Did it get too hot where the pen was stored?

KCW

It definitely didn't get over heated, but maybe it was not fully cured. Like I said, it was my first PR pen and my first casting, so it is possible that I jumped the gun.

Top Bottom