Lucite problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey

For those who make pens from Lucite, is there a tip to drilling that normally wouldn't be needed with regular resins and acrylics?

I ask because I got some Lucite from Pipemakers and tried to make a few pens last night. Drilled fine, painted everything and glued tubes in ok. Turned like a dream, but when I buffed it up, I found what looked like thousands of little cracks just below the surface between where the tubes would be glued in and the next 1/16" or so of Lucite.

Is it possible that I drilled too fast and didn't use water?

I coated the inside of a blank I cracked part way with some thin CA and hope to mount a small piece and turn so I can see if maybe I just need to coat the inside surface with CA to fill those little spider web gaps.

FWIW, the blank now looks like a cactus blank but instead of large pores, everything is on a micro level x1000:(:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DocRon

Mikey
You are describing "stress cracking". Happened to the first transparent piece I turned. Probably caused by drilling too fast, not getting the chips out properly, and build up of heat. I once had a pamphlet from a company called Cadillac Plastic that recommended regrinding the drill bits to a shallower angle, so that the plastic is essentially scraped away. If I can find the thing, I will post the info.
Ron

Mikey

Thanks Ron. I had thought that maybe it was the drilling. It was like 15 last night and I went out into the shop and just drilled as fast as I could go without breaking anything. i would normally use a lot of water and scrape the slurry out after every 1/8" or so drilled. I'll probably do another test piece using water and going slower and compare the two test cases side by side to see if the water drilling method may have helped.

I'm also finding out that I really need to color match the paint I use inside the blank as the Lucite is VERY transparent. I started with a beautiful amber color, but after painting the tube, it's all the color of the paint I used.[B)]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Plastics are a "live and learn" experience. Every type is a little different. However, if it is 15 ambient temp, there will be a substantial temp differential, no matter what you do while you drill. This could be contributing to your stress cracks (which, I agree, is what you are getting) FWIW.

Mikey

Well, it was the drilling I did. I made a test piece last night and drilled it VERY slow using lots of water. No cracking, or if there is, it is very minimal. What's sad now is that I can see the circular lines that the drill bit made. Not too noticable, but with the clarity of the lucite I want to try and get a clear look without any lines underneath. I'm going to try thin CA and see if it will fill any of the lines as I doubt I can polish the inside of the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom