lucite blank question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I am about to turn my first non-wood pen. It is one of the lucite blanks from pipemakers.org. I have used polyurethane glue on all my previous pens and have never had any disasters. I am not sure if it will work on lucite. If not I will use CA. I would appreciate any advice from "professional" non-wood turners.
Also, after reading everything here I will coat the tubes with black paint or permanent marker, is it also advisable to do the inside of the blanks.
thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DWK5150

I would use CA or epoxy. I have used epoxy on mine and not had any problems. Yes I recomend painting or coloring the tubes and the inside of the blank to be on the safe side depending on which color it is you are using. A few of them are very transparent.

wayneis

I use epoxy glue on everything but Poly glue will also work. Yes paint the holes in the blanks, if you don't then you will see ugly bubbles inside. I use flat paint as it blends in better, I just choose a color that comes the closest to the main color of the blank.

Wayne

LAKingsFan

I just turned some of the black blanks from pipemakers.org. It turns great. Always good to paint the blanks, but when I did it...it was black as night! No see through at all.

20051223183215_Emp-7.jpg
<br />

Good luck

Ron

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />I use epoxy glue on everything but Poly glue will also work. Yes paint the holes in the blanks, if you don't then you will see ugly bubbles inside. I use flat paint as it blends in better, I just choose a color that comes the closest to the main color of the blank.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Can you share what brand of paint you use, I was thinking of model paints...is that a good choice?

thanks!! Merry Christmas!

LanceD

Jim, I have been using Krylon spray paint with very good results. It's fast drying. I plug one end of the tube and use a 1/4'' dowel to hold the tube then after spraying i shove the dowel in a block of styrofoam to dry. Then I spray some on a piece of cardboard and use a Q tip to paint the inside of the blank, normally two or three coats. Also, like Wayne I prefer to use a flat paint as it seems to dry and cure a lot faster, but glossy works just fine but it tends to take a little longer to cure. Also I always use 5 minute epoxy so after an hour it's ready to turn.

Originally posted by LanceD
<br />Jim, I have been using Krylon spray paint with very good results. It's fast drying. I plug one end of the tube and use a 1/4'' dowel to hold the tube then after spraying i shove the dowel in a block of styrofoam to dry. Then I spray some on a piece of cardboard and use a Q tip to paint the inside of the blank, normally two or three coats. Also, like Wayne I prefer to use a flat paint as it seems to dry and cure a lot faster, but glossy works just fine but it tends to take a little longer to cure. Also I always use 5 minute epoxy so after an hour it's ready to turn.

Thank You Lance!! Do you use sand paper to score the surface of the tube before you paint them?

LanceD

Jim, I use 150 grit sandpaper to roughen the tubes prior to painting. I don't know if it helps t adhere after painting but it only takes a few seconds.

Deere41h

If you are going to us CA (And I would suggest epoxy) do not use a magic marker to paint the tubes. CA will cause the marker to flake off and you will have a brass showing. CA and magic markers don't like each other.

Which Lucite are you going to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom