Lube for twist mech

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Some of the twist's are pre-lubed with a substance that looks like vaseline. Can I use a touch of white lithium or is there a recommended lubricant. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I encounter twist mech's somewhat frequently that just do not operate smooth and/or easy enough to meet expectations for a pen that is supposed to be a cut above "ordinary" pens. So a suitable lube that might help is needed. A drop of light oil is often not the answer. Join Frank in looking for a good solution.

Charlie_W

I got a little tube of oil from a clock shop that has a tiny tube so you can put just the right amount of oil where you need it.
This has helped with some sticky twist transmissions.

WriteON

I got a little tube of oil from a clock shop that has a tiny tube so you can put just the right amount of oil where you need it.
This has helped with some sticky twist transmissions.

Thanks.....I'll keep this in mind or I'll use a hint of BreakFree or Tri-Flow(my all time favorite lube). I'd like to find out what is in the "Twists" in some of the PSI kits.

Last edited:

t001xa22

Frank, it was my understanding that the kit lube you may be referring to is applied by the overseas manufacturers to withstand potential corrosion while being transported by ocean-going ships. It was my experience that if that lube was allowed to stay in the mechanism after final assembly, sometimes it would stiffen up in colder temp environments. Ironically, men users were not as subject to this issue as the ladies, because typically a man would carry his pen in his shirt pocket, hence that pen would receive a certain amount of body heat to soften the lube for smoother twisting. Bottom line: the best after-assembly lube I have used is a good grade gun oil like Hoppe. I would usually apply it with a needle-point bottle applicator. It has worked well for me.

WriteON

Frank, it was my understanding that the kit lube you may be referring to is applied by the overseas manufacturers to withstand potential corrosion while being transported by ocean-going ships. It was my experience that if that lube was allowed to stay in the mechanism after final assembly, sometimes it would stiffen up in colder temp environments. Ironically, men users were not as subject to this issue as the ladies, because typically a man would carry his pen in his shirt pocket, hence that pen would receive a certain amount of body heat to soften the lube for smoother twisting. Bottom line: the best after-assembly lube I have used is a good grade gun oil like Hoppe. I would usually apply it with a needle-point bottle applicator. It has worked well for me.

Thanks. I might give Hoppes a shot. Pun intended

KenV

Tri-flow is good!!! You are thinning the grease a bit. I find wiping down, wait a day or two and wipe down again to clean up leakage.

Gun oil, machine oil, sewing machine oil, clock oil -- it is more about the needle applicator.
Need just a bit in the right place.

nativewooder

Most of the "oldtimers" I talked to said the answer was "elbow grease". Spinning the transmission around and back and forth a few times was usually enough to melt whatever the mfg. had put on it from the factory. Never needed to add anything else.:eek:

WriteON

Most of the "oldtimers" I talked to said the answer was "elbow grease". Spinning the transmission around and back and forth a few times was usually enough to melt whatever the mfg. had put on it from the factory. Never needed to add anything else.:eek:

The few tight "twists" that I have seem to be abnormally tight. Not unbearable but not pleasurable. I feel awkward letting it leave my hands even as a gift. Not sure if spinning would help these out. I'll try some lube for now but thanks for the
suggestion. Frank

Top Bottom