Low end kits and High end kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been making pens for a few years now. I've been doing alot of reading here these past few evenings and I read alot about "Low end" kits and "High end" kits. So it got me thinking about what everyone considers to be what? I think everyone would consider a 'Slimline" to be a "Low end" kit (yes I know you could dress it all out and make it really "special" but for the most part they are "Low end").
So I was hoping some of you could tell me what you consider to be "High end" kits or even "Medium end". I know that everyone will have their own favorites and there are no industry standard "high end kits". I also understand that it can all be about the bling you dress it out with.
I guess what I'm asking is if you are going to make a Medium end kit...what do you use and if you are going to do a "high end" kit what do you use?

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been making pens for a few years now. I've been doing alot of reading here these past few evenings and I read alot about "Low end" kits and "High end" kits. So it got me thinking about what everyone considers to be what? I think everyone would consider a 'Slimline" to be a "Low end" kit (yes I know you could dress it all out and make it really "special" but for the most part they are "Low end").
So I was hoping some of you could tell me what you consider to be "High end" kits or even "Medium end". I know that everyone will have their own favorites and there are no industry standard "high end kits". I also understand that it can all be about the bling you dress it out with.
I guess what I'm asking is if you are going to make a Medium end kit...what do you use and if you are going to do a "high end" kit what do you use?

Tom
How can it be medium and on an "end"? :biggrin: Just kidding, I would throw the type of kit out of the equation and concern myself with the plating. To me it is one of the bigger things in determining factor as to where to price it and thus give it some "status". Just a different view, please dont hate me for it. :wink:

omb76

I consider a Baron (Jr. Gent), Sierra, Zen's etc to be mid-range kits. Statesman, Imperial, Majestic, Emperor I consider high end kits. Slim's, Comfort grip, Cigars, etc I consider lower end kits.

tim self

+1 except I wouldn't consider a Rhodium Jr. Gent a mid range. Unless all you do is "high end" and then it would be a low end. Confused?

tbfoto

These have been very good replies so far. This is exactaly what I wanted to hear from people. I hope more people reply as well.

Thank you,
Tom

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Low end/high end

Personally I consider low end/high end to be more related to price expectations than anything else. I have wood/corian that I paid 20 cents for the blank and other blanks that I paid $7.00 for. I sometimes use 5 sanding steps and sometimes its 15. Sometimes the fit and finish is ok and sometimes it's great. I sometimes use 1-2 coats of finish and sometimes its 5 or 6. And, the slimline kits I sell are about $1.35/$2.00 but you can pay $6.00 or more for slimlines. So I will sell slimline pens for as low as $5/$6 to as high as $30/$35. Now $35 isn't a high price compared to say the $175/$200 I see some other pens listed for but I still would consider it high end.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I agree with those who have said it is the appearance, quality, fit, finish, and plating on the finished product that determines whether the selling price is high or low end, and not the price of the kit that was used.

ldubia

I agree with those who have said it is the appearance, quality, fit, finish, and plating on the finished product that determines whether the selling price is high or low end, and not the price of the kit that was used.

I also agree with this sentiment. If the pen looks like a high end pen when the customer checks it out, this is a high end pen. It is up to you to make the pen look this good. I know that you will do some awesome stuff.

I generally refer to my pens as high or lower end pens, depending on how I have them priced... as Russ said,(in paraphrase) if it looks expensive, it's a "high end" pen.... that said, I also generally keep the slims and Euro's all priced between $20 and $40 and most others at a higher level.... I'm also reducing the number of styles I make to about 4 or 5 styles... too many styles confuse people and reduce sales.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

But wouldn't you expect a kit that you paid $54.95 for (PSI Majestic Fountain Pen in Rhodium & 22kt Gold for instance) to have better plating and finish than a Classic Fountain Pen in 24kt gold costing about $9.00 from the same company. And would you not be likely to use a better and probably more expensive blank, and I think I'd probably take a lot more time and effort to make sure the turning and finishing of the wood was super high quality too. I sure wouldn't want to use a $50 kit to turn a $10 pen.

Top Bottom