Loving the Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhammis

When Rockler moved their Mesquite, TX store up to Richardson, TX I stopped in on the opening day and picked up a couple of Sierra kits because they were on sale. I had been struggling some with my Euros in the assembly phase so I thought I'd try my hand at a Sierra. Unfortunately life got in the way of me getting in the shop for a while but I have made two of them recently and I have to say that it's definitely the easiest pen I've made. Between only having to do one barrel to a very simple assembly process I'm really surprised that those aren't pushed as the first pen new turners make, rather than Slimlines. Don't get me wrong, I like my Slimlines and my Euros and I've gotten a lot of compliments on them (especially since I learned the CA finish from Russ' YouTube videos) but these Sierras/Wall Street II's are great! I've made two so far, both came out great and I've had requests for a half dozen more already.

I'm a happy turner!:glasses-cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

The slimline is a versatle pen and I liken it to Chess. Easy to learn but more complicated as you learn. A slimline pen can become anything but a slimline pen.
I too like the Sierra and wallstreet II kits and now they are coming out with different platings and making it a very upscale pen. But the slimline style almost demands expermentation and...it is cheaper.

Attachments

• J series Acrylic.JPG
    J series Acrylic.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 192

sefali

Yeah, I think the price is the only reason slims are the standard intro into pen turning. Well/ that and tradition. They are far from the easiest to turn. Gotta love turning sierras and other single tubes, though. Instant gratification comes that much quicker when you only have to do 1 tube.

Mark

Plus, making slims teaches you a lot (cheaply). I think it teaches precision instead of how fast you can shoot out a pen. Just my $.02

glen r

A single tube let's one get used to turning and finishing allot quicker than 2 tube pens. This also allows for more experimenting with turning techniques without losing too much if a problem develops. Extra tubes are not expensive and one should have a few extras if turning Sierras.

ldb2000

If it weren't for the design flaw , the Sierras and clones are great pens . The problem is I've lost several customers because the damn transmissions unscrew and get pushed up into the activator tube . I have tried several fixes , none of which I like so I have all but stopped making them and when my stock is gone I won't be ordering them again . You shouldn't have to modify a kit to keep it from coming back for repair , it's bad for business . I now use the Dayacom Elegant Beauty . It's a little bit smaller and thiner but it don't come back for repair .

where you getting the Dayacom's?

HI there where are you getting the Dayacom's? Jim

If it weren't for the design flaw , the Sierras and clones are great pens . The problem is I've lost several customers because the damn transmissions unscrew and get pushed up into the activator tube . I have tried several fixes , none of which I like so I have all but stopped making them and when my stock is gone I won't be ordering them again . You shouldn't have to modify a kit to keep it from coming back for repair , it's bad for business . I now use the Dayacom Elegant Beauty . It's a little bit smaller and thiner but it don't come back for repair .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When Rockler moved their Mesquite, TX store up to Richardson, TX I stopped in on the opening day and picked up a couple of Sierra kits because they were on sale. I had been struggling some with my Euros in the assembly phase so I thought I'd try my hand at a Sierra. Unfortunately life got in the way of me getting in the shop for a while but I have made two of them recently and I have to say that it's definitely the easiest pen I've made. Between only having to do one barrel to a very simple assembly process I'm really surprised that those aren't pushed as the first pen new turners make, rather than Slimlines. Don't get me wrong, I like my Slimlines and my Euros and I've gotten a lot of compliments on them (especially since I learned the CA finish from Russ' YouTube videos) but these Sierras/Wall Street II's are great! I've made two so far, both came out great and I've had requests for a half dozen more already.

I'm a happy turner!:glasses-cool:
You can turn about 100 slims for the cost of 30 or so Sierra's. Meaning you can get much more experience for a lot less money. I started with 100 Fancy slims (at a buck and a half each) and a box of about 200 half length (about 2.5 inches) blanks that I paid $20.00 for and turned 90 pens at less than $2.00 each in material cost. Mistakes were not infrequent but they were cheap even if I ruined the kit.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
experience

A single tube let's one get used to turning and finishing allot quicker than 2 tube pens. This also allows for more experimenting with turning techniques without losing too much if a problem develops. Extra tubes are not expensive and one should have a few extras if turning Sierras.

Looking at the slims and sierra's I see being sold I would say working with inlays and some materials are about the only techniques that you can get more experience with on sierra's than slims, I see slims in all manner of shapes and designs and rarely see a sierra that is anything but straight.

Top Bottom