Lots of ribbons!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I'll bet he didn't have a face shield or safety glasses on either !!!! This should be a "how not to turn video" !!!! Jim S

Last edited:

CREID

I wonder why he posted the video. I was disappointed, I wanted to see him either finish or blow up the blank. He did seem to switch to a sharper gouge somewhere in the middle.

Curt

TonyL

I posted this: You really do an excellent job producing acrylic ribbons with a roughing gouge. Thank you for sharing. Gloves and shirt sleeves have been known to get caught in rotating lathes and cause serious injury. In fact, many lathes include such warnings in their owner's manual.

TonyL

Hi Gary. I am not sure if you are asking me, but if you are, I am Tanner Tucker for Google reviews and YouTube. Tanner Tucker are the names of my golden retrievers (Tucker now deceased).

I am not the one turning the blank.

Last edited:

MTViper

As a safety professional with 30 years experience in aviation, occupational, and explosives safety, I don't see a problem in this video. Yes, gloves and long sleeves MAY be a hazard, but in this particular case, they don't seem to be.

He's only wearing a glove on his left hand. I do that occasionally, too because sometimes flying chips rub a blister on my little finger. The glove is tight on his hand and there is no loose cuff for the lathe to grab. The cuff of his glove is tucked into his elastic sleeve that holds the sleeve closed and makes it highly unlikely that that the lathe will grab the glove. Where the sleeve is looser, there are no ingoing nip points or apparent sharp points or edges to grab the material.

I don't know if he's wearing safety glasses or not but they're always appropriate in the shop. From what I can see in this video, there are no hazards present that would necessitate a face shield.

Safety starts with a hazard analysis to identify the hazards that are present or may be present. The next step is to identify ways to abate or reduce the effects of the hazards identified. Abatement is achieved through engineering changes, administrative changes, or PPE. PPE is the last line of defense against hazards that can't be engineered out.

Looks like he did a good hazard analysis and protected himself against hazards that were present.

Steve

Terredax

Banned
The video appears to be from Jim Lane, the original poster.
I have to agree that it seems a bit dangerous touching a spinning object with a glove.
Other than the glove, it seems he has turned a pen before, with the stream of material coming off of it. It's cool to watch.

Brian G

I'm sure the intent for posting this was for the often mesmerizing spray of ribbon that comes off the lathe. I always marvel at that, and typically giggle a little when it happens to me.

Please accept this comment as constructive, not critical. I winced when I saw the thumb between the spinning blank and the tool rest. I'd like to see the tool rest much closer to the blank, and never see a digit between the blank and the tool rest. Consider using a wire brush to brush away the ribbons, like Ed Brown shows in his videos. I use an old tooth brush. Something terrible could happen faster than the wad of ribbons that caught the turning at about the 3:13 mark.

Keep turning safely, and showing the great pens that you make. :)

plantman

:eek:
As a safety professional with 30 years experience in aviation, occupational, and explosives safety, I don't see a problem in this video. Yes, gloves and long sleeves MAY be a hazard, but in this particular case, they don't seem to be.

He's only wearing a glove on his left hand. I do that occasionally, too because sometimes flying chips rub a blister on my little finger. The glove is tight on his hand and there is no loose cuff for the lathe to grab. The cuff of his glove is tucked into his elastic sleeve that holds the sleeve closed and makes it highly unlikely that that the lathe will grab the glove. Where the sleeve is looser, there are no ingoing nip points or apparent sharp points or edges to grab the material.

I don't know if he's wearing safety glasses or not but they're always appropriate in the shop. From what I can see in this video, there are no hazards present that would necessitate a face shield.

Safety starts with a hazard analysis to identify the hazards that are present or may be present. The next step is to identify ways to abate or reduce the effects of the hazards identified. Abatement is achieved through engineering changes, administrative changes, or PPE. PPE is the last line of defense against hazards that can't be engineered out.

Looks like he did a good hazard analysis and protected himself against hazards that were present.

Steve

Sorry Steve, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this. in one sentence you state that you don't see a problem in this video. In the next you say that gloves and long sleeves may be a hazard. It can't be both safe and a hazard at the same time. After being on the fire brigade as a first responder, I can tell you first hand what happens to the human body when it comes in contact with a revolving object, and it isn't pleasant to look at !! I could see the glove if you turned for hours at a time or were roughing in large bowl blanks and used it as a way to lesson vibration or keep hot shavings off your hand, but not as a gloved, or bare, hand to remove shavings off a spinning object !! Brian G is also correct in saying that the tool rest should have been moved up closer to the blank as it was turned down. I also disagree with you on the nip point. How many times have you taken a piece of sand paper in your hand and half wrapped it around a blank while it is running on the lathe and the paper caught and spun around the object ?? That space between the object you are turning and the bottom of the tool rest is an unseen, unapparent, nip point that can do a lot of damage to your hand. I don't think this is a good video for a new turner to watch, as is shows several bad habits that one should not do while working on a running lathe. Ed Brown has several great videos in our library showing the proper way of turning acrylics with a lot of streaming ribbons. Don't mean to offend anybody, but that's the way I see it !!! Jim S

Last edited:

MTViper

:eek:
Sorry Steve, but I have to strongly disagree with you on this. in one sentence you state that you don't see a problem in this video. In the next you say that gloves and long sleeves may be a hazard. It can't be both safe and a hazard at the same time. After being on the fire brigade as a first responder, I can tell you first hand what happens to the human body when it comes in contact with a revolving object, and it isn't pleasant to look at !! I could see the glove if you turned for hours at a time or were roughing in large bowl blanks and used it as a way to lesson vibration or keep hot shavings off your hand, but not as a gloved, or bare, hand to remove shavings off a spinning object !! Brian G is also correct in saying that the tool rest should have been moved up closer to the blank as it was turned down. I also disagree with you on the nip point. How many times have you taken a piece of sand paper in your hand and half wrapped it around a blank while it is running on the lathe and the paper caught and spun around the object ?? That space between the object you are turning and the bottom of the tool rest is an unseen, unapparent, nip point that can do a lot of damage to your hand. I don't think this is a good video for a new turner to watch, as is shows several bad habits that one should not do while working on a running lathe. Ed Brown has several great videos in our library showing the proper way of turning acrylics with a lot of streaming ribbons. Don't mean to offend anybody, but that's the way I see it !!! Jim S

Jim,

One of the things that makes hazard assessment and abatement so difficult is that honest people can disagree on what constitutes a hazard and that's ok.

I saw nothing wrong with the gloves or sleeves in THIS video, but did agree that most lathe owner manuals do recommend against them. That's mainly for legal reasons, as we all know, but loose sleeves and gloves definitely are a hazard. These look tight so the hazard, while possibly there, are minimized. Also, we don't know why he's wearing the gloves and sleeves. It could be a medical reason as well as any of the ones you listed. I've seen the results of body parts caught in machinery, too, so I am very familiar with the threats.

I agree with you and Brian on the position of the tool rest. I like it closer, too. I'm not a fan of how close his fingers get to being between the tool rest and the spinning blank. Having the tool rest farther away does reduce the hazard of getting caught between it and the blank. I've never half wrapped a piece of sand paper around a blank as you described above. I was taught to lay it flat on my finger and hold it with my thumb so if the spinning blank grabs it I can let go quickly. Usually it's just ripped out of my hand.

Thanks, Steve

qquake

I only posted this video because I thought the ribbons shooting off the blank were cool. I was taken aback by the first negative posts. I started wearing the glove on my left hand a few months ago when I got my first carbide chisel. I cut my thumb pretty bad on the edge of the carbide cutter, because I have a habit of brushing the dust off the chisel with my left thumb. The glove fits tight, and has Velcro on the cuff to keep it tight around my wrist. I discovered that I like the glove as it allows my hand to slide along the back of the tool rest more easily. As far as I can see, the worst thing I do in this video is to clear the ribbons off the blank while it's turning. But I keep the tool rest far enough away that my thumb can't get pinched between it and the blank or mandrel. Maybe the tool rest should be closer, but this is the way I've always turned pens. It's more comfortable to me.

In my defense, I've been turning pens and other things since 1999, and haven't been sucked into my lathe yet.

Last edited:

qquake

As for other safety concerns, I wear large impact resistant reading glasses when I turn. I also wear a full face shield when I turn a blank that throws off a lot of chips.

showcaser

Jim don't let them get you down. I too was taken back by the negative comments.
Keep making ribbons!
Regards Patrick

brownsfn2

Don't worry too much about it Jim. I am positive we can find issues with everyone's turning if we are looking hard enough. I used to clear off the ribbons with my hands because it is fun. I like the way the light acrylic ribbons fly off the lathe. I have tried to use a toothbrush more and more to clean the ribbons but either way I did it was safe.

When you have been turning for a long time you know what is safe for you or not. There are some that I am sure would disagree but who cares. It is their opinion and they are not the ones in front of your lathe turning pens. :)

I love turning the soft acrylics made with Silmar 41. The thick wide ribbons I get off those are fun. If you are turning heavy you can get them to fly a foot above the lathe.

Thanks for sharing. Have fun!

plantman

I only posted this video because I thought the ribbons shooting off the blank were cool. I was taken aback by the first negative posts. I started wearing the glove on my left hand a few months ago when I got my first carbide chisel. I cut my thumb pretty bad on the edge of the carbide cutter, because I have a habit of brushing the dust off the chisel with my left thumb. The glove fits tight, and has Velcro on the cuff to keep it tight around my wrist. I discovered that I like the glove as it allows my hand to slide along the back of the tool rest more easily. As far as I can see, the worst thing I do in this video is to clear the ribbons off the blank while it's turning. But I keep the tool rest far enough away that my thumb can't get pinched between it and the blank or mandrel. Maybe the tool rest should be closer, but this is the way I've always turned pens. It's more comfortable to me.

In my defense, I've been turning pens and other things since 1999, and haven't been sucked into my lathe yet.

Not having been sucked into your lathe YET is not a defence !!! It's pure luck !! Jim I am not trying to belittle you in any way, shape, or form. The problem I see is not the glove or the sleeve, as I didn't mention either one. My problem was reaching across a running lathe to try to remove the plastic shavings that had built up on the end. I have had wrap ups on the lathe, that even with the lathe stopped, have required a Stanley knife to cut loose because I couldn't break them with my hand. I noticed that when the large wrap up on the other end of the lathe happened, you quickly backed away. Long shavings are nice to watch come off the lathe, but being a constant ribbon they block the sight of your object and have a tendency to wrap up. You, I, and others who have turned for a while are comfortable with our lathes, tools, and methods of turning. I am concerned about the safety of new turners who are uneasy with the process of turning on a lathe. Jim S

Skie_M

I have always cleared away my plastic ribbons by hand. It's quite easy and simple and allows me to see the work more clearly when nothing is in the way. I'm comfortable doing this, and I don't see any problem with it, as is.

Now, if I were also in the practice of turning metals ... I would say that there is definitely a problem. If I were to get into the habit of just reaching for wrap-ups around the spindle to clear them and put my hands into a mass of aluminum blades spinning at high speed ....

It should be noted that the plastics we turn are easily cleaned away from the workpiece by hand, but this should NEVER be attempted when turning any kind of metal. If you turn any metals at all, always reach for a brush to clear your chips .... don't develop a bad habit that could catch you at the wrong time.

Top Bottom