Losing my Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick1708

I'm pretty new to turning, but have read the many posts on turning pens without a mandrel. I haven't noticed my pens being out of round, but decided to try it. However, the blanks kept popping out.

Any thoughts on trouble shooting? too tight? too lose? user technique? Not sure where to start.

I was trying a Classic American pen from Woodcraft, turning a piece of walnut.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not sure what you mean by poping out. Are you using bushings and the correct ones for the kit and are you using a 60 degree dead center and live center???

leehljp

Member Liaison
I too am not sure what you mean by "popping out".

I will give a quick list to see if you are doing it correctly:

1. Drill blank,
2. Insert and glue tube into the blank,
3. Square blank to the tube,
4. Place bushing on each end of the blank,
5. Place blank (with bushings on each end) between the centers (live center and dead center) and pull the tail stock up. Lock tail stock.
6. Turn,

I don't see a place in those steps for the blank to "pop out", so there probably is a terminology difference here.

Rick1708

Sorry, should have been more clear. I did follow the steps you have listed, but when I started to turn, the blanks flew out of the lathe. Flew is a little strong, they really just fell out the back of the lathe. I am using the correct brushings for the pen.

JimB

It sounds like one of 2 things. Either you didn't tighten down your tailstock or you are doing slims or euros without custom bushings. Other pens use step bushings so you don't need custom ones.

MikeMcM1956

Do you have a dead center in your headstock, and a live center in your tailstock? Looking at the Woodcraft instructions for the kit, they use bushings that look like they don't go very far into the blank. They also look kind of long ouside of the blank. It may be that they don't go far enough into the tube, and they're just popping out when you start the lathe. Even if they don't pop out, they need to be long enough to firmly retain the blank on the centers or it will come off as soon as you put pressure on it with your turning tools.

Also, you said the 'blanks' (plural) flew out of the bushings? You can only turn one half of the pen at a time. You can't mount both blanks onto the bushings, the center bushing between the two blanks can't support them without a mandrel....

Mike

Rick1708

That last point makes sense. I did have both blanks on at the same time. I'll try with one blank at a time. Thanks!

MikeMcM1956

It should work much better now :wink:. If you find out you like turning between centers, go see fellow IAP member johnnycnc at his website www.penturnersproducts.com. He makes high quality bushings specifically made for turning between centers, they extend well inside the tubes and are machined to match the angle of 60 degree centers. Highly recommended....

Mike

ngeb528

I wonder if Johnnycnc could make a center 'coupler' for two blank kits so you could turn them together?

I, personally, need to have both blanks turning at the same time to get the look the way I want it.

johnnycnc

I wonder if Johnnycnc could make a center 'coupler' for two blank kits so you could turn them together?

I, personally, need to have both blanks turning at the same time to get the look the way I want it.

Nancy, been there, tried that.:)
It does not work out very well.Too many parts, and connections
to remain stable and run as true as one blank does.
It seems like a great idea until you put it to practice.
I placed all of the prototypes I made to try this idea in the scrap bucket.:biggrin:

Rick1708

It's something new, if you don't try new things, how do you get better. I was also thinking about trying a closed end pen, but that's for a different thread...

jttheclockman

It's something new, if you don't try new things, how do you get better. I was also thinking about trying a closed end pen, but that's for a different thread...

Well what was the answer to the popping out problem??? Curious minds want to know. If it was because you were trying 2 blanks at a time I would like to know how you tried that. It would be interesting. Thanks.

Rick1708

I tired to put both barrels on at the same time. The connection between the two was weak and gave every time I started. Turning one at a time solved the problem.

ldb2000

Rick , never stop trying new things , it's the ONLY way to really learn what works for you . You can ask a million questions but until you have tried it for yourself you will never know for sure that it can be done . Someone had to TRY to turn between centers for the first time not knowing the outcome , and I'm quite sure they had failures before they got the technique right to make it work .

Top Bottom