Loose Upper Barrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I turned and assembled a slimline and all went without a hitch until I slid the upper barrel over the transmission. When I twisted the barrel to extend the ballpoint, I found the barrel to be loose and would not properly grip the transmission. I ended up having to apply a pinhead drop of solder to a couple of spots around the diameter of the tx tube, then filing the solder down a bit until the barrel would slide on with a tight fit. [8D]

This particular kit is one of the $1.49 efforts sold by AS. Anyone else experience this? or was this a 'one of' problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

Any chance you reamed the inside of the barrel with the pen mill?

Kyle

I just went through this with THREE pens, including an antler pen, using PSI kits. I am fairly certain that the problem is entirely mine, induced by sloppy use of the reamer or perhaps having a somewhat misaligned reamer in my drill press. Sometime the flat side of the bit get chucked a little off in the drill press--I should of caught this when I used it--but maybe not. At any rate, the inside of my tubes are chewed up, and I think I deserve all of the credit.

I'm being more careful now!

Kyle

Kyle

P.S. Nice tip on the use of solder to remedy the problem. I was thinking of trying the same thing with thick CA, and was dreading the potential results.

Kyle

G

Two thoughts
one DONT try ca glue!
two is the fit sloppy enough for another tube to fit inside the over sized one?

Kyle

I agree about the CA thing, but I don't think I'd ever get another tube inside of mine. Solder still seems like the best bet (other than the wood stove).

Fred in NC

Reamer in a drill press? Not in my life!

I make wood handles about 1" dia. for anything that goes inside the tube. Drills chew up my tubes! Keeping the inside of the tube clean while gluing is a good start.

G

Originally posted by Kyle
<br />I just went through this with THREE pens, including an antler pen, using PSI kits. I am fairly certain that the problem is entirely mine, induced by sloppy use of the reamer or perhaps having a somewhat misaligned reamer in my drill press. Sometime the flat side of the bit get chucked a little off in the drill press--I should of caught this when I used it--but maybe not. At any rate, the inside of my tubes are chewed up, and I think I deserve all of the credit.

I'm being more careful now!

You did mean Pen Mill right?

Kyle
You did mean Pen Mill right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom