Loose tailstock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mickey

I have a not so old Delta midi lathe (out of warranty) and the tailstock wobbles on the lathe's rails. Is there any way to tighten this up so that alignment between the headstock and tailstock is maintained? It
drove me crazy trying to figure out why my pens were coming out poorly until I discovered this problem. Actually I only discovered it because a bought a full size lathe and decided to try turning a pen on it and it came out beautifully.

Thanks,
Mickey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Sounds like the nut underneath the ways isn't so tight. I'm not sure about the
Delta, but I know that John Goodin (johnnycnc) makes a replacement for the Jet.
If they're compatible, it's a good modification to have. If not, you might be able to
tighten the one you have.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
then I'm not sure I understand. If it locks down on the ways, what part is
wobbling? Is it a one piece tailstock? I'm not familiar with all the Delta models..

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not sure how that can happen if you have the right tailstock and it
locks down. The bottom of the tailstock should be exactly the size if the
opening of the ways. It should slip right between then with no play.
Is the bottom of the tailstock damaged? Does it look original?

Mickey

I did some checking on a couple of other forums and this it appears is not an uncommon problem with the Delta. Even Delta says that some play in the tailstock is "normal". Disappointing to say the least. At least I have the full size lathe to work with. Guess I'll use the Delta as a door stop.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
They said that "play in the tailstock" is normal????

Wow ..

I'd still look into tightening it up with a replacement part underneath the ways.
There's a nut and washer, but I know that once I replaced mine with an after-market
part, it tightened up considerably. I was getting some 'creep' and that solved it.

You should ask johnnycnc if his Jet part will fit on the Delta. It might..

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm not familiar with that specific lathe but could it be that the nut/plate under the ways has been overtightened and is now bent upwards so that it clamps against the bottom of the tailstock body before ( or more ) than it clamps against the bottom of the ways?
Can it be turned over? Perhaps the square block that travels between the ways ( whether it be part of the nut or part of the TS ) can be draw filed flat again?

Edit; Here's an exaggerated sketch of what I mean

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Mickey

It really has nothing to do with the lock down mechanism. It works fine. Nice and tight and no creep. Because there is slop between the base of the tailstock and the rail on either side you can't be sure the tailstock locks down perfectly aligned with the headstock. It can be off as much as an 1/8" in either direction.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It really has nothing to do with the lock down mechanism. It works fine. Nice and tight and no creep. Because there is slop between the base of the tailstock and the rail on either side you can't be sure the tailstock locks down perfectly aligned with the headstock. It can be off as much as an 1/8" in either direction.

I wonder if it is the wrong tailstock. Even without the lockdown
mechanism, that tailstock shouldn't give you that amount of play. It SHOULD
lock down aligned with the headstock. Otherwise, what's the point??
The bottom of the tailstock should be the same size as the opening in
the ways, plus just enough for it to move without sticking.

RDH79

I have a TurnCrafter Pro and it is the same way. I also didnt realize how solid the tailstock should be till I got a Jet. And I was always wondering if I got a new tailstock if that was the problem or if the bed slot was machined to wide. So I just live with it and turn on the jet and finish on the Turncrafter without bushings.

KenV

I do not have a delta -- but have a couple of others -- European/American lathes control off the inside of the ways. The tailstock is machined to fit between those two control surfaces. Either the ways are worn wider or the tailstock casting is too narrow (loose).

One can use set screws (gibs) to set the tailstock right (may take 4 -2 on each side front and back - and then comes either shims or JBWeld to provide the wearing surface. The old classic is to put in brass strips with screws holding them in place.

Personally, for that much work, it is time to look at new lathes.

Top Bottom