Loose fittings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewmeister35

Rookie question here... I've been getting alot of navigator/baron kits that the clip end fitting is loose. Would you CA glue it or epoxy? I'm worried about gluing it and not having enough pressure while it sets up and ending up with a loose clip. Also used to having the ability to take it apart.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I use CA, and personally, I wish all fittings were loose. I would rather test fit and then when I'm satisfied, glue the parts.

Rmartin

stevers

I've had some Jr. Gents with loose end caps. Not fall out loose, but loose enough to just about pull out by hand. I have glued a couple. Be carefully, CA sticks to the fittings real well, inside and out. Maybe put a quick clamp on it while it sets up to insure it stays tight enough.
Good Luck.

I've had a few finials that came loose enough so the clip could turn. Someone here suggested using Loctite. Use the blue threadlocker and you should be able to remove the finial later if need be. I'm told if you use the red stuff it will be permanent. It worked well for me.

Randy_

If you use CA to secure your hardware, be sure to let the pen cure for a day or two in the open air. A number of folks have had their finishes or the hardware plating cloud up if the pen is put away in a box or other closed container.

BernieW

I do like Dick Sing suggested. I use 5 minute epoxy when I do pen assembly with loose parts. I have a El Grande that I did that to about 1 1/2 yrs. ago and still holding.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />If you use CA to secure your hardware, be sure to let the pen cure for a day or two in the open air.

Sometimes it will still fog the hardware even after a few weeks. I avoid using CA to secure parts. I prefer epoxy and use it on ALL parts, whether or not they are loose, because they WILL work loose over time.

Rmartin

Hmmm, so you're saying a drop of CA inside the blank will cloud the outside of the part? I've used loctite on metal screws for years in my profession, but it's easy to break the seal. Maybe you guys are talking about something besides what I've used.

Rmartin

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
My "carry" pen is a coolibah burl cigar that after refinishing in CA I let it dry for a couple of days then put it away. When I took it out again all the TiGold hardware is tarnished. Polished it up again but it is a different color now. [:(]

I've also had CA fumes cloud the finish on both pen and fittings when I had to glue a nib into place on a slimline. The pen was trash after that.

Keep them open and keep good airflow.

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom