Loose fittings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I finished up a Gold Ti Baron yesterday, posted on SOYP. When I put the cap barrel together, the parts just slid into place with just moderate finger pressure. The other closed end was fine. The problem is that the clip can and will rotate and so will the coupler. I hate the thought of using epoxy to solve this, but I may need to. Any thoughts? Loctite, maybe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I've used a Q-tip that has some CA on it. Rub the Q-tip on the flat part of the clip, then assemble as normal. Seems to work pretty well. Just gotta be careful not to get it on any of the outside surfaces where it will show.

Dario

Gerry,

I had a similar problem before with Baron and did as Jim recommended. Works well but don't even attempt to disassemble after [;)]

gerryr

I don't mind using CA on the clip, but I'm more concerned about the coupler. If I screw the closed end in just a tiny bit too tight, the grain alignment gets messed up. Not exactly what I want a customer to do. That was why I wondered about Loctite.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gerry--disassemble, dab a little thick CA inside the barrel and press the coupler in. Do NOT re-assemble for 24 hours. The CA will fog and mess things up if you do. This is one of those areas where manufacturer's tolerance can work against us. Thankfully, in making a few hundred Barons I've not had this problem.

Dario

Oops...I should have read Jim's response. Yes I did apply the CA between the tube and the plastic insert too.

I did get the fogging that Lou described [:D].

As a reminder, make sure you take off the refill and put the plastic cover while waiting for the CA to cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom