Loose fitting parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm new here, and new to pen turning, though I've been into other aspects of turning for a couple years or so.

I'm in the process of completing a dozen or so pens. In pressing the parts into the tubes, I'm finding that in a few instances the parts simply slide right in with virtually zero friction. Obviously that ain't gonna do!:redface:

I know exactly what happened...I allowed some CA glue to get inside the tubes while inserting them, and I let the CA set up; I later used the pilot of the barrel trimmer to clean the CA from inside the tubes. That might not have been such a bad thing, but some CA built up on the pilot, causing it to ream out just enough of the tube to cause the loose fit I'm now dealing with.

Lesson learned. I now know to not allow so much CA to accumulate inside the tube, and to clean t out when it does....and to pay close attention to any residue buildup on the barrel trimmer's pilot.

But here is where I need some advice: I can think of a couple of ways to deal with these loose fitting parts. (1) I can put a drop of CA inside the tube and insert the loose part. Obviously when it's a twist mechanism this ain't gonna work, but the offenders in this instance are almost all nibs. Or, (2) I can wrap some teflon tape around the loose part before inserting it.

I am wondering if anyone has had good success with either of these two methods, and also, is there another method I'm not thinking of?:confused:

TIA for any help you can offer. I figure that if there is anywhere I can find penturning wisdom, it is here.:)

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I hesitate to use CA to secure parts as you suggest. The main reason being that CA is difficult to remove if any excess gets on the pen part's exterior surface or on the finish. The mechanism that inserts inside the tube, such as the 7mm pens, can be glued in (be careful...but it can be done) but CA may not give enough working time to get the mechanism seated to the correct depth before is cures. It only takes a very small drop of CA or any other glue to do the job. I've not used teflon tape or any other similar product. That just doesn't seem to be the best solution. I prefer either two part epoxy or loctite.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

But here is where I need some advice: I can think of a couple of ways to deal with these loose fitting parts. (1) I can put a drop of CA inside the tube and insert the loose part. Obviously when it's a twist mechanism this ain't gonna work, but the offenders in this instance are almost all nibs. Or, (2) I can wrap some teflon tape around the loose part before inserting it.

I am wondering if anyone has had good success with either of these two methods, and also, is there another method I'm not thinking of?:confused:

TIA for any help you can offer. I figure that if there is anywhere I can find penturning wisdom, it is here.:)

Mark

IPD_Mrs

Unless your blanks were of a premium wood, custom order or some other reason that you have to have those blanks I would turn new blanks. Plug your tubes with wax before you glue them in. Tubes and blanks are pretty inexpensive, just your time involved.

Mike

scotirish

I have had kits, without glue inside:bananen_smilies068: still slip on and off without friction. Most have been from Woodcraft and some from PSI. It has been so few that I still order from both. I feel that sometimes the tubes are the incorrect ones. I do not sell my pens so I use a drop ro two of CA to holed it together.:rolleyes:

Chasper

I've had success with gluing them in with CA, be very careful not to get any CA on the outside of the blank and give it 24 hours to fully cure after you push in the nib, end cap, transmission, or whatever it is that is lose.

Lately I've switched to a different method. I put in small drop or two of CA and spread it around the inside of the tube with a small knife blade, then let it dry, don't insert the part yet. After it is good and dry the parts will fit tighter.

Lately I've switched to a different method. I put in small drop or two of CA and spread it around the inside of the tube with a small knife blade, then let it dry, don't insert the part yet. After it is good and dry the parts will fit tighter.
That sounds like a great idea to me. I'm going to give that a try when I get back to my shop tomorrow. Thanks!!!

Top Bottom