Loose Fitting Kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

HawksFeather

I am just wondering if anyone else is having problems with tubes being just a little oversized and what you are doing to keep your pens together. The kits that I am using have not come from eBay or some fly-by-night discount place, but more and more they are not fitting tightly. There is absolutely no need for a pen press, just push the parts into the tube and hope that they don't fall out. I have heard of using epoxy and not using CA, but I just don't think that I should be having this many that are in need of glue. Or is everyone just gluing all of them and I just didn't know?

Thanks,

Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

I have a few kits here and there, like this. Baron's and Sierra's mostly.
If it feels too loose, i use a touch of epoxy.
I would suggest trying the parts in a new tube, straight out of the package.
You can, of course, take apart fairly easy.
This would help identify things as to problems right out of the bag if loose initially.
If they are not loose, then nail down what part of your process it is that is
opening/"wallowing" them out.
I find that the glue cutter groove pen mill pilots can do a lot of damage in my hands.
Hope you find your solution!

HawksFeather

The worst have been Sierras. I have tried both mandrel turning and also between centers. I will do a little better job of checking the fit before and after on the next few and see if I can find a possible problem.

Thanks,

Jerry

woodale

Did you happen to buy them from Rockler? I haven't made a lot yet, but every loose one I've had (couple of cigars and slims) I bought from them.

Randy_

I've had a few Sierra kits that were loose and have read posts from others who have had the same problem. I think there is just a problem with that particular kit.

BigguyZ

I've had a spate of this lately. I have a Robusto from WC that had the finial MUCH too tight. Brought it in and they replaced (though the blank was a total loss). When comparing the kit I had and the kit they provided as a replacement, the tube sizes were incorrect.

Then, I had an El Grande where the tube was slightly oversized. Again, the blank was finished by the time I found out.

Lesson learned: check the fit before you even glue in the tubes!

I also have a Majestic where the center band won't press together. I'm bringing that into Rockler to swap out today. I'm not spending that much on a kit to have it not go together properly.

Never had an issue with the Sierra- from Rockler or anyone else. Hope I don't, as I just bought 14 of the kits from them (on sale right now).

jleiwig

I had that problem on a Wall Street II recently. I thought it was something I had done until I checked against a bag of replacement tubes. The clip end would just slide right in all the tubes I had. I took it back and made them open a bag and check it before I exchanged it out.

This is the reason I still only deal with local companies. Not that I've had a problem with other mail order woodturning companies, but it took me 1/2 hour to go down to Woodcraft versus days waiting. Well worth the added cost in my mind.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bad news, guys. The name "sierra" is being used for LOTS of pen kits. Then, add the variations of plating (which will change your dimensions-diameters) and you have a devil of a time describing the real problem.

Whenever you talk about the sierra, I SUGGEST you include the plating to try to be specific enough that everyone can identify where the problem MAY lie.

Sorry, I am deep in looking at kits for "exotics" to resell. I have started trying to isolate these difficulties. We hope to offer consistent quality, but time will tell.

KenV

I have had a few "easy assembly" opportunities. Noting that a tooth pick and a few touches of medium Locktite would not handle nicely. I actuall like the "easy assembly as the locktite holds very well and I cannot stress the wood/acrylic around the tube.

REALLY like it with ebony and snakewood...

Top Bottom