Loose Components

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I just turned a PSI Sculpted pen. It assembled well but the components are loose. A drop of CA on the nib and cap and clip fixed that. However the twist transmission barely secures the lower barrel. When twisting the barrel to extend or retract the refill tip the barrel slips. The only fix I can think of is to place the exposed end of the tranny in a vise and carefully distort it slightly to afford a tighter fit. Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 1-20171205_131134-6.jpg
    1-20171205_131134-6.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I am not familiar with that kit.

But I would be wary of distorting the transmission using a vice.
The distortion might affect the smoothness of the twist operation.

You might try creating some longitudinal burrs on the transmission using an Exacto knife blade tip. . You can always smooth them out later with emery cloth if that is necessary.

EDIT: . I just read the instructions. . It seems that you are advised to never pull off the upper barrel when replacing refill. . They advise to unscrew it. . The indicates to me that the transmission will remain permanently in the upper barrel. . So I conclude that a tiny bit of glue on the transmission would be in order as long as you don't get any glue down on the threads of the transmission which screw into the coupler. . Just as important, don't let any glue get into the brass-steel butt joint of the tranny.
I would use an extremely thin layer of epoxy with perhaps a little excess near the top of the tranny but not enough that would creep into any hole there might be in the top end of the tranny.

Last edited:

KenV

Have used an automatic center punch to raise divot edges and provide more "grab" from the upper barrel.

If there are raised strips on the transmission, that is where to pop the automatic center punch a few times.

I've made a handful of those, and prefer to stay away from them, but the ladies love 'em. I have both read about and experienced inconsistencies in fit with that kit. I've had very tight and very loose fits, some that are too easy to twist, and some that are too hard to twist. I'm making what I hope will be my last one for a gift then never again. It's a shame, they do make for a beautiful pen when finished, but I prefer kits where the assembly goes along smoothly without any surprises. Sorry this doesn't off any advice other than to expect issues every time you make one. Hope you get it to work out.

gtriever

Ouch! Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of these to try out. Will be following this thread closely. Thanks for posting it.

Rockytime

I become so accustomed to pressing the tranny into the lower barrel that I abandoned thinking. The tranny presses into the top barrel with the threaded end towards the center band. An short adapter screws into the tranny then the lower barrel is pressed onto the short adapter. That is where I had my supposed problem. DUH! A drop of CA secured the lower barrel to the short adapter. Instead of pulling off the top to change refills the pen simply unscrews. I hope this explanation suffices. It's difficult typing with one finger and my cat on my lap.

Top Bottom