Loose clips on 7mm pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrc

I'm wondering how many others have had over a short time clips loosen and move around the pen barrel. How many glues the cap & clip on ? I read very little of this problem but see it alot with other pens. I started ca glueing them on about two years ago and have not had any come back. While pressing them on I can tell if they were'nt glued they would loosen very quickly. Some kits vary greatly on how tight the cap presses in and how the clip fits on the cap. When I first started I had a batch of kits that that the cap was so hard to press in that I did damage to a few. Now most seem to be a little to small.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nilsatcraft

I've never had a problem with it but it may also depend on the brand of pen. I think if you have any problems with them coming loose, you may as well glue it. The centerband, however, isn't necessarily meant to be fixed in place. I guess you could glue it, though.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by BogBean
<br />Do you guys glue the center band and nib also?

I do not glue the center band on slim line pens, but do the nib. Again, I use a drop inside the tube. I don't put the CA on the parts because of the possibilty of squeeze out on to the finish.

Skordog

I haven't had many problems with the clip, but I frequently have problems with the top end of the transmission slipping. i.e. after you spin it to get the refill to protrude, the barrel will keep spinning around. The only way I have found to fix this is to put a small amount of CA either on the transmission or inside the top tube and let it dry before your put it back together.

All in all it is a pain and there must be a way of preventing this fromo happening. I am assuming that the barrel trimmer is at least partly responsible although maybe it is just the Berea kits.

Anyone else have this problem on a frequent basis?

Jeff

Randy_

Originally posted by BogBean<br />Do you guys glue the center band and nib also?

Very early in my pencrafting career, I had a centerband come off a slimline when I pulled the top off. Fortunately, the CB fell on a clean workbench(unusual for me) and was not lost. I checked some of my other SL kits and found that most had a dimple in the transmission that prevented the CB from coming off the pen. On one or two of the transmissions the "dimple" was not raised enough to retain the CB so I glued those. I don't want a customer coming back to me because of a lost CB.

I glue every part that is pressed into a tube. When I'm selling someone a pen for anywhere from $25 to $125, I don't want them falling apart like Wal-Mart specials!! I'm willing to do everything that I can reasonably do to see that my customers get a quality product!! The extra effort may cut into my profit margin a little; but I never planned to get rich selling pens anyway.

jrc

Hey Jeff that's a good idea with the ca, I'll do that next time I get loose barrel. I the past I would distort the top of the transmission with needle nose pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom