loose Cigar pen coupler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bon_sai

Has anyone encountered a loose coupler and glued it to the lower barrel?

I hand pressed the coupler on using clean</u> 2-ply toilet paper as a shim.

I do not like this work around.

I am a little apprehensive gluing the coupler and ruining the finish.

Thanks,

bon_sai

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Nice one Rudy.

This is what I do.

1. Use a utility knife and make some score marks on the inside of the tube section. This roughs it up and gives some tooth for more holding power.
2. Do the same for the outside of the coupler. Just scratch the finish up well to give some grip for the glue.
3. Use medium of thick CA and dab a bit around the inside of the upper 1/8" of the tube where you scratched it up.
4. Press parts in place.
5. Leave the other end open and don't put any parts in for a few days.

With this method I have not had anything come loose and I have not had any CA white residue issues with the pens.

Good luck.

Randy_

Place one drop of CA.....no more.....on the end of a toothpick and apply it to the inside of the brass tube. Then press in the coupler. Any excess will be scraped down the tube and will be inside the pen barrel. If you apply the glue to the coupler, it could scrape off when pressed in and ooze out onto the wood!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Randy's method is the best way if you are going to use glue.
I would add to WAIT before inserting the refill.
I have had a "residure" coat the refill and make it stick inside the tube and not work smoothly.Wait wnough time so the ca has set and the 'fumes "air" out.Over nte is not too long.
Another method is to put a bead od solder on the end of the fitting and fike it smooth.This will work as well as the intended method for assembly.My question is why did the end of the eube get this way,
I have had similar experiences.One thisn I attributed it to was a build up of CA on the mill that scarred the tube as I was inserting the mill into the tube.
Investigate the source of the problem so the "curew" isn't necessary.

bon_sai

I did use the one drop of CA/toothpick method this morning.

As for how this could have happened, I do remember a buildup of CA on the barrel trimmer at the time.

Thought nothing of it, now I know.

I will post a pic of the pen tonight.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Wow Eagle,

How many times have you had this happen???

I would never have looked at the barrel trimmer and, I hope, any CA would have fallen off when inserted into next barrel.

Nice detective work!!!

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Wow Eagle,

How many times have you had this happen???

I would never have looked at the barrel trimmer and, I hope, any CA would have fallen off when inserted into next barrel.

Nice detective work!!!
It only has to happen once to make you pay attention to the rest.
Any time I have a fitting that doesn't "work" right I don't blame the fitting until I have checked everything out.
Ususally it is something I screwed up.
Another cause for this problem is when you are in a hurry and don't turn off teh DP between blanks.It doesn't take much for a steel pen mill to scar a brass tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom