Loose center rings on WC slimline pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

The first pens made were platinum and black Ti Slimlines from Woodcraft, and I have several of the earlier pens that I plan to give to family....some nice wood there and the first ones need not go to the can. The problem is the center rings have a habit of getting slung off when the top is pulled from the pen. What is, if there is, the means to prevent this? Have heard of using CA but also hear to not use on [near?] plated materials and am also concerned about glue migration into space between the transmission and the front tube and ruining the pen. Or is that just the way it is with Slimlines? Have graduated to Euros and Jr. Gents so it will not be a continuing problem for me.

Also, I managed to press the transmission a wee bit too far into one pen, doubt anyone has ever done this though; would someone happen to know the thread size for the cross refill? Hopefully I can insert a screw and pull it back out a wee bit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chris,

Standard slim lines are made to have loose center bands. It sounds to me like the clip end of the pen is being YANKED off if the center bands are flying off. I would avoid any gluing at all and impress users to separate the pen gently when they need to change the refill.

As to the transmission problem, I have a pdf on non-traumatic 7mm disassembly. If you will PM me an email address, I will send it to you.

Randy_

.....tandard slim lines are made to have loose center bands. It sounds to me like the clip end of the pen is being YANKED off if the center bands are flying off. I would avoid any gluing at all and impress users to separate the pen gently when they need to change the refill.....

Murphy's Law..............!!!!!

It is a little naive to think some customers will not do something to cause the centerband to come off even if it is not vigorously yanking off the cap. I have had it happen to me and, obviously, I should know better.​

I don't make many slimlines because I don't like them; but the ones I do make have the centerbands glued on. I have always used CA and never had a problem. I put just a tiny drop on the end of a toothpick so I can apply the glue exactly where I want it. Then I leave the cap off overnight so the glue can fully cure and outgas. (If the use of CA concerns you, use a bit of epoxy.)

Cav: Is your PDF in the IAP library?

rherrell

Also, I managed to press the transmission a wee bit too far into one pen, doubt anyone has ever done this though; would someone happen to know the thread size for the cross refill? Hopefully I can insert a screw and pull it back out a wee bit.
Won't work, you'll pull out the innards of the transmission, at least I did.:wink: I THINK a 10/32 will fit.

Randy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bar

Won't work, you'll pull out the innards of the transmission, at least I did.:wink: I THINK a 10/32 will fit.

Rick is correct on both accounts.

If you need to remove a slimline transmission and reinsert it, you can purchase a disassembly tool from several different sources or do what many recommend and pick up a set of transfer punches from Harbor Freight. I have the transfer punches and they have always worked just fine for me. To date, only had to use them twice.....knock on wood!!​

Chris Bar

After reading Cav's pdf., used a piece of stainless drill rod to remove the nib, and the rest is history, except that red tube thread locker worked fine on the rings...tight and all is well.

Top Bottom