Loose center band question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

Ron,
Since there's nothing to support the wood , there is a chance of the wood splitting but if you leave the CB thick enough the chances are a lot less . I've turned a lot of them and haven't had any problems yet . I would think that if you do turn one that is thinner that you could very easily harden the wood with some CA , then finish it off .

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi, Ron. I've been using Scott's method without problem. The nice thing about drilling the centerband material to 1/4" is that you have a little "meat on the bone". The centerband wood will be significantly thicker than the wall of a barrel. I know that others do put a tube section in the cb and you may want to as well.

tipusnr

I've done both, depending on the wood and application. Dense, tight-grained woods don't easily crack as their are a lot of counteracting forces in there and, of course, the surface is sealed and polished. Straight grained woods tend to crack more easily so I either tube them or drip CA in the hole, let it dry, and then re-drill it.

Scott

Uh, I don't know! [:eek:)]

Actually, I haven't had any crack. They end up thicker, and I just haven't had thqat problem. I know a lot of people glue a short piece of brass tube in there, and that would work well. Good Luck!

Scott.

Fred in NC

I seldom make loose centerbands anymore. I use a longer tube, and the centerband is glued in place.

What I do is to glue the centerband material at the end of the blank, drill and glue the longer tube in. Then I turn the centerband along with the barrels.

write-n-style

My take
The blow outs I have had whlie turning any pen usually stemmed from lack of glue on the section of the tube where the blow out occured.
My thought is the glue on the tube adds strength to the wood or other material surrounding it.
Acts as reinforcement.
I believe the addition of a short section of tube in hte centerband adds the same reinforcement.
It may be over kill but why chance it?
I also use the same method FredNC mentions for center bands(as part of the upper tube.
Another method is to part off a section and add the center band like an "oops ring"

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by fitzman163
<br />I'm new to this forum, and was wondering what the process was to make a wood center band?
There's a wonderful article on the website. From the Home page, go to our "Articles" section and find the one by Scott Greaves (one of the IAP founders!). It's comprehensive and easy to follow.

Randy_

I've been thinking about this subject for a while as I would like to make some wooden CBs. Seems to me that Fred has the right idea. One other advantage to his method is that it eliminates the possibility that a CB will be lost when a pen is disassembled to replace a refil. I almost lost a SL CB once when changing out a refil. I now glue them on the transmission. Don't want a customer to end up with a bad pen because he lost a CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom