loose cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scotty

I made an American rollerball from Woodcraft. When I bought it, I thought I was getting a screw top, but picked up the wrong one. Anyway, the cap is too loose. It will not snap and stay on. I first thought it was the blank too proud that was not letting it go on far enough, but that is not the case. I took it apart, and it is obvious that the friction parts are not tight enough. What can I do with it? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

From what I remember with that kit, it has a plastic piece that threads inside the cap and that is what does the actual snap fitting. If the cap goes on too lose, you need to tighten the plastic piece by screwing it in further. Some forcepts should be able to reach up into the cap and carefully grab the plastic and give it another turn.

jskeen

The white plastic cap that goes into the cap actually threads onto a stud on the finial insert that is on the inboard side of the insert. if the cap is loose, use a torx driver or a slim straight blade to turn the cap clockwise inside the cap which will pull the cap tighter down onto the body. I actually love the snap cap mechanism, but all it takes is for the pen to get dropped just right, and the nib will be forced up into the cone and split it. after that it's going to cost another kit to fix it.

Scotty

You guys are brilliant. The instructions I had for this didn't show the plastic cap thing, so I didn't use it. I did keep it though....I am bad about throwing things like that away. Guess I should have remembered that I had parts left over before I even ask the question, but I forgot about it. It works just like it is supposed to now, imagine that!! Thanks for your help.

Scotty,
if you have a larger Philips screwdriver, it will fit into the cap to help with the tightening, but as said, I've had so much trouble with them, I don't make them any more.. just the screw caps for me.

Scotty

I actually made this pen by mistake. I have made several of the screw caps, and bought a few at Woodcraft one day. Mixed in with them was this one. I prefer the screw cap. Thanks to you all, I have a pen I can use. Not much of a pen if the cap won't stay on, huh?

Top Bottom