Looks like a Gum tree but, what is it...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

My last tree identification request, was provided supper fast results with a spot-on confirmation of the correct tree species, thanks to our friend from South Africa.

I don't think that, this one exists in his side of the world but, you never know, it maybe does, will see...!

This species have been part of my "timber list" for near 1 year as #66 (Shade tree - car-park), this is how I remember where it come from, until I get its name.

A very dense and heavy wood, with a bark identical to the Platypus Gum, actually wood weight and density are quite identical but, definitely not the same thing, that I know...!

I got some pics of it and from other "twin" trees living next to where this one was, "fortunately" for me a wind storm snapped it right at ground level, it was only small but already affected by Termites at the base, reason of its failure.

The very fine, (near needle) type leafs, make it very different than all the Gums living around so, I wonder if anyone here, have a clue to what it is and have its correct name finally added on the timbers list.

Have you seen it before, what do you think, it is...???

Your replies, will be appreciated...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 007o.jpg
    007o.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 006o.jpg
    006o.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 005o.jpg
    005o.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 004o.jpg
    004o.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 101_2158-1.jpg
    101_2158-1.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

Oh, I'll probably only hate myself in the morning, but the crotch looks awfully familiar. Can't advance a name, but I KNOW I like it! I DO have a guess. It's in the "willow" family, but I can't say. Maybe someone else will know, or have more "courage". BTW, nice job on the turning, George! Russ

KBs Pensnmore

Hi George, is it possible to get a close up of the leaves and any buds that might be available? Looking through my book of Australian trees it looks like a Wandoo, but because the leaves are not clear, I can't say for certain :frown:.
Regards
Kryn

robutacion

Hi George, is it possible to get a close up of the leaves and any buds that might be available? Looking through my book of Australian trees it looks like a Wandoo, but because the leaves are not clear, I can't say for certain :frown:.
Regards
Kryn

Yes, it will be possible to get some close ups from the leafs and anything else that may be growing on it, as soon as I'm that way, until then, and from what I saw of the Wandoo tree on Google, ain't it, that I know...!

I actually brought a branch home, the day I got the wood,a s I wanted to take a few close-up pics of it, with a bit more time. I put it somewhere to do it later, whatever I done to it/put it, never saw it again so I forgot all about it, this was last September so, too late now, to go and look for it it will all dry and useless, I can get fresh branches, soon...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

OK peoples, here are some more close-ups and not so close pics of this tree. I actually too some pics on site then decided to brake a a small branch that was a good representation of the present condition of the tree.

I got the close-up pics when I got home from a very long and hot (40C) day but the sun was getting low so not a lot of natural light but still enough to see the details...!

Obviously, these tree species are now flowering with lots of new pods already formed but they are very tinny, indeed...!

Lets hope, this is enough for correct identification...!

Good luck guys...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001zx.jpg
    001zx.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 002zx.jpg
    002zx.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 004zx.jpg
    004zx.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 102
  • 006zx.jpg
    006zx.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 007zx.jpg
    007zx.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 107
  • 008zx.jpg
    008zx.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 009zx.jpg
    009zx.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 018zx.jpg
    018zx.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 019zx.jpg
    019zx.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 114

Bob Wemm

George, I've just gone through 535 species photos and have not found a full match. The closest one is "Sargentii" and you reckon it is not that, so I don't know????
Except for one thing, it is definitely a Eucalyptus.
Will email you.

Bob.

KBs Pensnmore

Hi George, the nearest that I can come up with is a Wallangarra White Gum,
unfortunately there are about 1800 species of Eucalypts (so I'm told) plus cross breads. It comes from Wallangarra near the NSW QLD border area .
Could also be Brittle Gum from around Canberra, has very similar,slightly smaller buds and fruits,distinguished by shorter stiffer leaves.
Hope this helps,:confused:.
Kryn

Bob Wemm

Hi George, the nearest that I can come up with is a Wallangarra White Gum,
unfortunately there are about 1800 species of Eucalypts (so I'm told) plus cross breads. It comes from Wallangarra near the NSW QLD border area .
Could also be Brittle Gum from around Canberra, has very similar,slightly smaller buds and fruits,distinguished by shorter stiffer leaves.
Hope this helps,:confused:.
Kryn
I agree, the leaves on both these species are very similar but the flower buds are nothing like Georges tree.

Bob.

robutacion

Take a look at the flowers on this example and see if it doesn't look like a match.

Yes, I agree that the flowers look identical, and even the tree shape is similar but the leafs and bark definitions aren't right. I've looked at various of these tree, in a area radius of 30 miles and I can see that they have been all Council plantings, many of them of foot-passes, road side and in strips between 2 roads (one for each direction) all in suburban areas...!

The trees all have an identical appearance and similar to the one in your link however, every web link I looked at for the "Sargentii" tree, all of them show a very different type leaf (wider) and these tree do not have that dark flaking bark at the trunk base as the "Sargentii" trees have.

Bob, asked me to sent him a complete small branch of what I shown on my previous post so that, he can look at other details that will help him to identify the species however, as and he said, is no guarantee that he finds it in his personal tree books library...! Will see...

I'm attaching a couple of pics from these trees, one of each I removed that sample branch yesterday...!

PS: I'm lucky that, at the moment these tree are flowering and providing that once a year chance to see so, lets hope that will help solving the mystery...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 001o.jpg
    001o.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 003o.jpg
    003o.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

KBs Pensnmore

Hi George, I use "A Field Guide to Australian Trees" by Ivan Holliday.
I cannot find any thing in there. If you still can't identify it, try taking a sample to State Flora at Belair to see if they can identify it for you.
Like I said before there are about 1,800 species of eucalyptus, so I await with anticipation.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Merry Christmas,
Kryn

robutacion

Hi George, I use "A Field Guide to Australian Trees" by Ivan Holliday.
I cannot find any thing in there. If you still can't identify it, try taking a sample to State Flora at Belair to see if they can identify it for you.
Like I said before there are about 1,800 species of eucalyptus, so I await with anticipation.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Merry Christmas,
Kryn

Yeah, identifying Eucalyptus in Australia is nearly as bad as identifying Acacias/Wattles, there also far too many around...!

We wait sand see what happens in the next few weeks...!

Thank you for your input...!

Cheers
George

Bob Wemm

Hey George, The specimen arrived today and was pretty mouldy but OK.
From what I can extract from the flowers, buds and leaves it is MOST DEFINITELY
Eucalyptus spathulata subspecies spathulata. Common name is swamp mallet and it grows across Australia.
The original type specimen was collected in W.A.

Thank you for the specimen.
Cheers
Bob.

robutacion

Hi Bob,

I apologise for not replying to your email yesterday, about this information I'm very pleased that the sample arrive still usable, the mold had to be from having the branch soaked overnight and them soaking a few pages of newspaper to wrap around the branch. I was concerned about the sample dry too much with this heat while in the long trip to you, the small postal bag I used to put it in, is obviously completely sealed something that I though would preserve the moisture a lot longer but, mold is also so unexpected...!

Anyway, it was good enough for you to make a positive identification and after you mention its name, I reckon it suits the wood perfectly, as this stuff is heavy and hard as rock so, and ideal wood to make a mallet head or any tool handles...!

Interesting the number of species in this part of SA that originated from WA, all of those I seen around are in council land and mentioned before so, an attempt to introduce "hardy" trees to the are...! good for George, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

Thanks again mate, I should consider that "hat or badge" to go with your new position "George's trees identifier...!":eek::)

We have now #66 Swamp Mallet Gum, one down, a few more to go...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom