Looking for a Wood with Voids!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeSquare

I'm looking for a recommendation for a wood (probably stabilized) That has nice coloration and small voids in it. The reason is I'm looking to make a Rollerball and a Fountain Pen for my wife who's going to be finishing her Masters in Library Science in the spring, and I want a blank that I can fill the voids with crushed lapis lazuli which is her favorite color.

Any recommendations?

- Rich

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

I picked up a few pieces of Tasmainian Eucalyptus Burl from Woodcraft awhile back and found voids in almost every blank I've cut from them. These are not stabilized and several of them had so many voids I had to use some thin CA to hold them together so I could turn to final shape without them coming apart. Here's a couple I've done recently...

Attachments

• Sedona(Eucalyptus).jpg
    Sedona(Eucalyptus).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Vertex(Eucalyptus).jpg
    Vertex(Eucalyptus).jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 395

BeSquare

That's exactly the type of look I'm looking for! I'm going to have to check those out for sure. Thanks a bunch!
I picked up a few pieces of Tasmainian Eucalyptus Burl from Woodcraft awhile back and found voids in almost every blank I've cut from them. These are not stabilized and several of them had so many voids I had to use some thin CA to hold them together so I could turn to final shape without them coming apart. Here's a couple I've done recently...

Hendu3270

woodturningz has the same thing but I believe they call it eucalyptus gum vein burl. here is the product #PBEUCGUMVB

Actually the blanks they have that are just called "Eucaplyptus Burl" are exactly what I ended up with after slicing the blocks I purchased from Woodcraft.

The one you posted above (Eucalyptus gum vein burl), is freakin' extreme!! Serious voids in those. I may have to order a few of those as well. Thanks for the headsup!!

robutacion

Oh gezzzz, do you want some blanks with amazing/big/deep, etc. etc., from many different wood species including the Eucalyptus Burl which I call mine Spotted Gum Burl as they come from a Spotted Gum tree, I have a few "thousands" of them however, they are in Australia...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

KBs Pensnmore

Those make me really wish I had casting equipment!

I get away with just using a casting resin, pour it in slowly and sit it on any thing that will vibrate, Scroll Saw, lathe with a lump of wood in the chuck, it is usually enough to get the bubbles out.
Kryn

Hendu3270

if you want to fill some voids, can't beat skeleton cactus LOL

That's a beautiful pen indeed. One thing I gravitate towards, however, is a very erratic pattern of voids, or actually no pattern at all to them. Just few here and there of varying sizes.

BeSquare

You guys have given me some great ideas here, I already ordered a few to play with as test blanks before I make the final pen. Looking at also doing some work with silver/aluminum on it as well with an ebony finial on the end. Should turn out nice!

sbwertz

If you are looking for something like this
pen.jpg

I can send you some. It is mulberry crown. I'll send you a small flat rate box full for the cost of shipping.

Top Bottom