Looking for ways to cut blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbrock

I have just started doing shows and I turn while I am there. Does anybody have a good way to cut pen blanks other than manually. I need something that is easy to transport.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
mount the blank between centers and use a micro parting tool to cut it. No extra tools or machines other than the micro parting tool!

Or maybe a good ole handsaw and miter box!! believe it or not, I commonly use a miter box and handsaw to cut my blanks!

tbrock

I was looking into getting the micro table saw that psi and harbor freight sell, but the reviews are terrible...not enough power, it seems

DurocShark

I was looking into getting the micro table saw that psi and harbor freight sell, but the reviews are terrible...not enough power, it seems

Depends on what you're trying to cut. They work fine on 3/4" wood and plastic blanks. A buddy has one he uses just to cut brass stock and he loves it. I played with it a bit and am considering it for the same thing.

soligen

I wonder if that 4" micro table saw will take a sanding disk. If the blade raises enough, I could see adapting it as a dedicated way to square blanks - basically permenently afixing a jig to it.

Don, Did you examine it closely enough to tell if it could be adapted to this?

Russianwolf

1) Round the blank between centers.
2) put the blank in a chuck (scroll or collet) and mark where you want to cut.
3) use a coping saw to cut on you're mark.
4) chase the cut off piece.

Some may frown at this, but I've never had an issue using my coping saw as a cut off tool as long as the tailstock isn't engaged.

DurocShark

I would just worry about the OP's environment with flying cutoffs.

The more I think about this, the more I think maybe pre-cutting your blanks would be the best solution. Yeah, you might not have the right mix of blank to kit for a request, but it would be safer and simpler.

You could also use an inexpensive miter box with a back saw and hand cut them.

RAdams

Banned
yeah a miter box and a hand saw.... that's a good idea! Glad you came up with that!!:biggrin:

After even more thinking about it, If it were me, I would want them already cut, tubed, and trued. That way i could mount them and go.

DJS588

If a moderate investment is not out of the question, you might want to look at the FEIN Multimaster. It is an oscillating tool. You can get it, a Fein drill stand support and a bench drill press stand for it from Amazon.
It gives you the portability and, because it is an oscillating tool you will not have to worry about pieces flying off. In addition you will have a tool that can do a ton of stuff at home. I have one that I've used for installing hardwood flooring, door trim, baseboards, not to mention some of the turning projects I try . Just a thought.

DurocShark

yeah a miter box and a hand saw.... that's a good idea! Glad you came up with that!!:biggrin:

After even more thinking about it, If it were me, I would want them already cut, tubed, and trued. That way i could mount them and go.

Ya know, you should have thought of that a while ago. Sheesh. I have to do everything around here.

:wink:

glycerine

Maybe you could mount a jigsaw upside down on a small table and use that? Are you just talking about cutting a presized blank into the upper and lower piece or are you talking about cutting blanks from boards?

ldb2000

As Ron said "use a parting tool , no other machines needed" , can't get much simpler then that . I use a collet chuck to hold the blank while I part it for the barrels but I have just parted between centers as well . The penmakers challenge that I'm running has shown that you can make an entire pen using just the lathe .

RAdams

Banned
or just go get a butter knife from the kitchen..... cut about 60% of the blade off, and grind the end to a parting tool... I also sharpen one edge of my butter knife parting tool, and use the knife edge to make the final cut similar to a skew, so it is a cleaner finish cut!

the advantage of the butter knife parting tool is that it already has a handy handle!

Top Bottom