Looking for a Type of Fountain Pen....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

Hello again all I have a customer that would like a couple fountain pens made from Gun Metal finished kits. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find Gun Metal Finish for a fountain pen? Dont ask why he wants gun metal because I have no idea I showed what I have and he said thats what he wants. He also doesnt want to pay more then like 25.00 a piece for the kits, not total pens just kits. Thanks as always for any and all help that can be offered with this. Len

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Len, you can get the Jr. Gent in Black Titanium, a gun metal look for $17.50. I'm a little confused, do you actually tell your customers the cost of your merchandise?

Len Shreck

OKLAHOMAN, I tell them it will be a Min. of XX.XX but depending on pen kit price it will be more for the more I have to pay for Materials.
I was looking at that one but have never done anything in the Titanium finish so wasnt sure how close to the "Gun Metal" finish it was. Have you done pens in that finish and know it looks close to gun metal? I was not only looking online but also in the catalog and it looks close for the pictures but we all know what it looks like in the picture doesn't always mean it is going to look like that when we get it hands on. Thanks Len

Len Shreck

Mr Vic, He doesnt want any gold if can help it except if there is on the nib like most of them, that I have done, come with. But thank you for pointing it out. Thanks Len

Mr Vic

Oops..had to look real close to see the gold on the center band. Can't tell for sure if it's a three piece center band, if it is you could substitue wood or buy two kite and double up the gun metal.....

Of course is this the gun metal looks he wants or a blued steel look?

jskeen

Vic;

What most everybody refers to as "Gunmetal" finish is actually the black titanium coating for the metal components. Almost all types of kits are available from somebody in Black Ti, or some combination thereof.

James

Len Shreck

I am waiting for him to get back to me if the Black Ti will work or not. I told him that from what I have been able to find that is as close to a "Gun Metal" look as I am able to find. Thank you all for the help and I need to find a "Nib Cap Adjuster", I think that's what its called, Adjuster if these customers want FP then I may as well buy the tool instead of trying to keep using a screw driver like I been doing. If anyone else comes up with any more ideas please let me know. Thanks Len

Last edited:
Nib cap adjuster?

Len,

I think your customer will be very happy with the black titanium coating; it gives a subtle look that many prefer.

Your last post raises a question; what is a "nib cap adjuster" and what does it do? I can't think of anything I would use a screwdriver for in making a fountain pen.

Regards,

Larry

Lenny

Len,

I think your customer will be very happy with the black titanium coating; it gives a subtle look that many prefer.

Your last post raises a question; what is a "nib cap adjuster" and what does it do? I can't think of anything I would use a screwdriver for in making a fountain pen.

Regards,

Larry

On some of the cheaper fountain pen kits, the plastic insert that the pen "snaps" into must be adjusted with a nib cap adjuster .... which can easily be made by slightly grinding the tip of a philips screwdriver. :biggrin:

Len Shreck

I ordered a FP kit from CSUSA and the white cap that covered the nib had to be screwed onto a screw/post that was attached to the Cap that has the clip on it. The screw/stud is on the bottom in the center of the cap and the "Nib Cap" gets screwed on it and you have to adjust it because when you put the top on the pen when you are not using it that white plastic "Nib Cap" is what holds the lid on the pen and it is hard to get adjusted so you get a nice tight fit. It says right in the instructions to use the adjuster tool or a #1 Phillips head screw driver to adjust the white plastic "Nib Cap". It is in the Artisan Pen Kits on the Craft Supplies USA site if you wish to look at it I am not doing a very good job at getting across what I mean.:biggrin:
Also thank you for the Black Ti. advise. Len

Len Shreck

I have figured out that only the "Cheap" kits are the ones that you need special tools for:biggrin: I also wasn't fond of having to "Notch Out" the end of the tube and pen for the clip to fit on that type of pen.
I am hoping to just be able to get better quality kits, but didn't want to get good ones for first couple. Thanks for helping explain it "Other" Len
Len

Nib cap adjuster?

On some of the cheaper fountain pen kits, the plastic insert that the pen "snaps" into must be adjusted with a nib cap adjuster .... which can easily be made by slightly grinding the tip of a philips screwdriver. :biggrin:
Len,

Oh ya, now I see! I've never done a pen with click on cap so have no experience with installing the inner-cap. Recently, I read an article about Schmidt nib assemblies including the snap-on cap that was simply pushed into the cap with friction fit.

Regards,

Larry

Top Bottom