Looking for suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmanship

Does anyone know of any type of wood that is
  1. Solid Black
  2. Not Ebony
  3. Is not prone to cracking
Although, I have nothing against an Ebony pen the one's I have made in the past have cracked. Any suggestions would be great ~ or if you can suggest how to prevent cracking.........

Any assistance is appreciated,
Merry Christmas,
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Hi Tim,

have you considered using dye(black) on say maple to get the effect that you are seeking? I have also used bannia (Guyana) and it is almost, a solid, dark wood, that in my opinion turns and looks as good as ebony.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Peter's idea is something that several people have done. It used to be more popular subject two or three years ago.

Another similar idea is this link for ebonizing wood.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Ebonizing.pdf

Neither of these soak in much more than just below the surface but they do make beautiful pens (and bowls).

Works great on closed grained wood like maple and cherry.

rjwolfe3

I was going to suggest African Blackwood but I am not sure if it is solid black. I had heard a rumor that it has a tendency to crack like ebony but haven't turned mine yet so don't know.

I was going to suggest African Blackwood but I am not sure if it is solid black. I had heard a rumor that it has a tendency to crack like ebony but haven't turned mine yet so don't know.

I've had no problems with AF Blackwood cracking, but it sometimes does have streaks of brown through the wood... makes some really nice pens in the larger styles...

fernhills

Ebony wood cracks. I have had good luck with Aniline dye on cherry,plain maple, popular woods. They really look good. You can also use ebonite. Carl

John Eberly

African Blackwood

I made a dozen blackwood "Navigators" last year. No problems with cracking, but the CA tends to peel at the ends due to oil in the wood. Make sure you wipe with DNA and be careful how you remove the blank from the bushings.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I've used African Blackwood with no problems and the ones I made where such a deep black I had a hard time telling them apart from the black acrylic ones.

Top Bottom