Looking for Some Wood From Mount Vernon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I posted this in the classifieds but thought I might reach a wider audience here (if that's not Kosher mods, go ahead and delete)

Does anyone have any scraps of wood from anything from Mount Vernon? A friend who is a HUGE admirer of George Washington has a birthday coming up in November I would like to give her a pen with some wood connected with him. It doesn't necessarily need to be from a tree planted by him or that was alive when he was - just being from the estate would be enough.

I don't need an entire blank - just scraps - enough to make scallops, segments, etc. Will pay if the price isn't too outrageous or can trade for some of my teak from the original deck of the USS Missouri (BB-63 on which the Japanese surrendered - not that they stood on that exact piece of wood but who knows?) with provenance.

panamag8or

I've been looking into this as well. My family shared the original land grant with the Washingtons in 1674, and owned the southern half of the property for years, until finally selling the last pieces to Gen. Washington. I was looking around for pieces of trees that may have been there when my family still owned it. There are two companies that maintain the trees on the estate.
Bartlett Tree Experts (main estate)
7823-LL Loisdale Road
Springfield, VA 22150
703-550-6900

The Care of trees at River Farm
6748 Gravel Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22310-3220
phone: (703) 922-8733

You can try to contact either of them to ask further. Most of the original property is now developed, so there could be trees under private ownership. Perhaps a craigslist ad might reach some of those folks.

Like I said, I have just begun researching this, so if you find out something, let me know.

Of course, you can contact the current owners, the Mt. Vernon Ladies' Association.
Contact Us | George Washington's Mount Vernon

I know they are very picky about the trees, even equipping them with lightning rods to protect them.

Top Bottom