Looking For Some Ideas For 78s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

Not sure if I have the right forum but...
I have a potential customer asking me if I can make a pen from old 78rpm records. At first I was thinking old 33 vinyl and all kinds of "melting" scenarios came to mind but then realized he meant "really old" stuff.

Does anyone have any idea what the old 78s were made from. I know they crack and break real easy. I have suggested that I could do something with the center label if it was a specific 78 artist, label, album, or song but I have not heard back from him as yet.

Anyone got any other ideas for using a 78 record in making a pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StephenM

I believe that they were made from a mixture of shellac and a fine filler (stone dust or the like) If he has any extra, you might try "welding pieces together with shellac and see if you get something turnable.

JD Combs Sr

I believe that they were made from a mixture of shellac and a fine filler (stone dust or the like) If he has any extra, you might try "welding pieces together with shellac and see if you get something turnable.
Thanks Stephen, seems you are correct, I review Andrews Wikipedia link.:wink:

Some old 78's are worth some serious money. may want to make doublly sure that it they are worth next to nothing.
Thanks Drew, We are definitely talking about bits and pieces of broken records except in the case of a label. I would scan that and use the scanned image.:)

This wikipedia describes all the potential materials used Gramophone record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for what to do with it ... this was the first thing that came to mind http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/ever-seen-anything-like-before-92476/ not sure if it'd work.
AK
Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the Wikipedia link and the other link is something like what I was thinking if they were vinyl. I am sure there is something "great and imaginative" out there.:wink:

PTsideshow

Somebody, on here did the segmenting thing with the vinyl 33's. They also used the vinyl and heat to make a number of assorted dust catchers.
As been said it would be only as good as the adhesive used. Grind it up and add it to the resin mix might be one way around turning it into a pen blank.
:clown:

Top Bottom