Looking for some "Grenedilla" wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

Today at a show I had a customer ask me if I could make something out of Grenedilla wood. It is mainly used in making interments like clarinets. I did a quick search and didn't find much.

Sooo I ask here does any one deal with this Grenedilla wood or know anything about it.

Thanks
Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

it is very dense. if you can get some sap wood and heart wood it makes a nice contrast. I realy like it alot. It is comparable to cocobolo and I do belive it is in the same family. that is granadillo. It also smells good.

arioux

The wood used to make clarinet is grenadilla aka african blackwood

The grenadilla is in the Dalbergia familly like most of the rosewood, tulipwood and cocobolo

fyrcaptn

try a search for African Blackwood

African blackwood (botanical name: Dalbergia melanoxylon) is a small, heavily branched deciduous tree in the Family Leguminosae.The most important local names are mpingo and pau preto. Within the timber trade, the wood is often referred to as ebony or grenadilla. These names may also be used for other woods within the botanical family.
I 've made several pens out of it and have had no issues with it. One is so tightly grained and ebony black everyone assumes it is plastic until they really look deep into the body. Another cut from the same slab has a totally different look to it with golden eyes appearing in the wood as light hits it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom