Looking for some feedback please!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike211

Hello all!

I am new to pen turning, only have a few dozen pens under my belt. I was hoping to get some feedback on a pen I just finished. I have been playing with the PR pens. I find them to be fun (for time being) I started out with wood and became frustrated. I think it is because of the wood I was turning, it was very old and brittle. Anyways, some feedback would be appreciated. Anyone who does PR pens, do you put CA on you pens?? Thanks-a-Million!

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 374
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

Very nice.. a lot of detail for someone new to turning. I am also fairly new, and do a lot of PR. I do not put a finish on PR. I sand with MM to 12000 and then polish with plastic polish and have liked that finish. I have used CA with PR to fix things and it works well, but really I have found PR to not need it

I got discouraged with wood for a while and I think it had to do with the tools I was using. I was not using SHARP enough tools. I have since started using a skew and in all honesty, it has saved 2/3 of my time. I used to have to sand through all the grits to get a decent finish, but now, with the skew, I can do some touch up with 400 or 600 and apply the finish.

Keep up the good work. I am not a big fan of the slimlines with the narrow center and rarely use them anymore. If I use a slimline I either make my own center band or change it somehow as I like smoother lines. But I do really like the details on yours. NICE!

Mike211

Thanks for the encouraging words Mitch!! How is it that you make your center band?? I also am not a big fan of the slimline, but I am using them for the experience. I would be interested in how to make the lines thicker with making a thicker center band!

Thanks
Mike

TimS124

You can order "comfort bands" as a replacement for slimline's normally super-skinny bands...Exotic Blanks carries them as do some other pen sites.

The cool colors and patterns available with PR, acrylics, etc are pretty cool. But don't give up on wood...there are some crazy grain patterns available in the burl blanks, "worthless wood blanks" (which blur the lines between wood and acrylic by combining some of both), and even some techniques for boosting grain patterns (ex: bleaching zebrawood)...

cacardon

Good looking pen! You did a good job finishing while keeping the cut edges sharp. With the wood you were turning have you tried stabilizing it with some thin Ca or epoxy? Just a thought.

lwalper

You can order "comfort bands" as a replacement for slimline's normally super-skinny bands...Exotic Blanks carries them as do some other pen sites.

... or you can try the Trimline style. They're pretty much the same pen, but have a larger centerband and are about the same price as the slims--good to play around with and experiment.

Mike211

With the wood you were turning have you tried stabilizing it with some thin Ca or epoxy? Just a thought.
I did try "wood hardener" from minwax, it seemed to help a little. When I turned by the bushings it didn't turn out very well. Was it the wood or my tooling or technique?? Thank you Cacardon

Ed McDonnell

When you are turning fine details in wood (e.g. beads and coves) it will help if you use a closed grain hardwood (e.g. most fruit woods and rosewoods). You are less likely to get splintering and tear out than with an open grain wood or a lot of softwoods.

Almost all turning problems can be traced back to tool shape, sharpness and / or technique. Sometimes it is the material being turned, but more often not. An hour with an experienced turner can save you months or years of trying to get the basics right. There may be an AAW chapter near you that would have experienced members eager to help you. You can search for a chapter here (use the "start a new search" up towards the top):

Member Search Results - American Association of Woodturners

If there isn't a chapter near you, you could check with a local woodworking store (if you are lucky enough to have one).

If all that doesn't work out (or suit you), then you could take advantage of the training materials offered by the AAW. You can preview some without being a member, but membership is really worth it if you enjoy turning. Here's a link to one of the educational programs:

Woodturning FUNdamentals Preview - American Association of Woodturners

Good luck.

Ed

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice pens for just getting started, Mike.

Great advice in all the above posts & I second the comfort center bands for slimlines. I make a lot of slimlines and only use the standard centerbands when I make a straight profile or one with just slight shaping. I use a comfort centerband or make my own when I want to leave more meat on the barrels.

I'm primarily a wood guy - I enjoy making a pen with cast blanks from time to time, but about 90% of my pens are wood. I find them to be much more challenging & rewarding - every type of wood is a little different as far as turning, sanding & finishing let alone the additional variations you get with spalting, aging, oil content, etc.

Keep experimenting & above all, have fun!
Edgar

stonepecker

Really 'punky' wood needs to be stabilized. Some wooden blanks you just worry about how it will turn. You can toughen wood with a thin coating of CA.
Exotic Blanks has a 'how to video' that explains the process. Don't give up on woods. It all takes time and many failures to get it right.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

Sharp tools are the best answer to turning problems, that and practiced techniques. Some woods are best stabilized and combined with the above will give very good results.
Don't give up on the slim line pen. It is the most versatile kit pen one can use and there are so many options. Take a look at the book: Turning Modified Slimline Pens Beyond The Basics by our own Don Ward (its virgil). He has some great options. Also see the video on Woodnwhimsies.com for a further option. Just my two cents.

Jerry944t

Some woods are beautiful to work and some are not. Try a piece of Rosewood or olivewood, a sharp shaper of choice and you may never go back to plastics. Stay away from spalted or stabilized word if you're just beginning with woods.

The two woods I mentioned (there are plenty of others) work very nicely and are easily finished with a couple of coats of CA or even just wax or a friction polish.

Last edited:

low_48

I've never been a fan of the "stuffed sausage" look on slim lines. I prefer smooth slight arcing curves to define the top and bottom section. Also not a fan of the bead at the nib. If I did much writing with the pen, I think that bead would put a sore spot on a finger or two. Nice colors, nice craftsmanship.

Mike211

Thank you everyone!!! Great advice, I cant wait to take everyone's advice and apply it. It may take me a little while to get there, but I will.

low_48

Mike, here is a form I used nearly 10 years ago if you want to add a shape near the nib. It's a little tough to polish, and you really have to be careful with slim lines, but it doesn't irritate the fingers when writing. We were just starting to think about painting the holes in the blanks back then.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/valentine-sale-acrylics-11425/

Last edited:

Mike211

Wow, I cant believe all the tips, tricks and suggestions. I thought with being such a "newbie" I would have been overlooked a little. Thank you all for such a warm welcome! I have to agree, the basketball pens, are a craft done well!! Low_48, I will have to give that a try, I think I might like that better. So much to do, so little time!! Thanks again!!

Mike211

WOW JD, I haven't found the library yet. It looks like I will be busy with the Slimline pens for a while. I cant believe the creativity in the few links that you shared with me. I sure am glad I joined!

Top Bottom