Looking for Rifle Cartridge blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

massman

Last year I purchased a couple of rifle cartridge blanks with the actual bullet inserted for the nib. I don't remember who I purchased them from but need a few more. These were both brass and the darker cartridge as well. I am not looking for the cartridges that need a slimline nib. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

On this topic of cartridge pens, has anyone heard from or about EddieO. It is as though he has dropped of the face of the earth. He's not on the forum and doesn't answer PMs or email. I know he was having health issues...Just wondering about a friend.

On buying the cartridge pens, try Silvanite or Dale Johnson, both have a good product.

Sylvanite

Are the little river kits tough to do?
Well, I don't think so, lol. You can view the instructions online if you'd like to get an idea of the process.

For the assembled slimline kits, all you have to do is turn the upper barrel. For the cigar kits, you need to turn down the coupler. For the split-cartridge, you must be able to turn accurate tenons. All of these are within the ability of a typical penturner.

One thing - I've noticed lately that some slimline kits have a much tighter fit between tube and transmission than they used to. This makes it harder to seat the transmissions without damage when using your own kit. I'm in the process of modifying the assembly instructions accordingly.

Regards,
Eric

I'm glad to hear they are easy to assemble, Eric. I just ordered a pair of them from you (I'm the idjit who's order you are correcting). As my other thread shows, I've only turned three pens so far, but I want to do these for Christmas gifts.

Wish me luck!:redface:

Gregory of Sherwood Forest

Thelt

Well, I don't think so, lol. You can view the instructions online if you'd like to get an idea of the process.

Just ordered two of the kits from you. I hope they are as easy as you say. LOL. I have turned pens and I like the slimline the best. I haven't tried to sell any yet, but if these turn out good I may start trying to sell them. Thanks Eric.

RichB

I have ordered twice from Sylvanite and they are easy and look great. I just ordered a kit for a Cigar this time. I plan to try it for the first time. The instructions are right on. I like his kits most because they are Powder Coated. Thanks Eric

Thelt

For the assembled slimline kits, all you have to do is turn the upper barrel. For the cigar kits, you need to turn down the coupler. For the split-cartridge, you must be able to turn accurate tenons. All of these are within the ability of a typical penturner.

One thing - I've noticed lately that some slimline kits have a much tighter fit between tube and transmission than they used to. This makes it harder to seat the transmissions without damage when using your own kit. I'm in the process of modifying the assembly instructions accordingly.

Regards,
Eric

What is the diameter of the top I need to turn for the 30-06 kit? Can I use any of the bushings I have now for some of the Penn State Kits?

hewunch

Eddie was having issues with his job. Dale is no longer a member here. He can be contacted on thepenshop.net

GPDMTR25

I highly recommend purchasing them from LittleRivercrafts

I've purchased, what 12 or 13 now, and LittleRiverCrafts are much better than most of the kits out there. They are powder coated which is very important to keep the brass look. When I first started looking into rifle cartridges I purchased several different kits to see which ones I would like the look of after a month or two. By far, really no comparison, his were the best. Also he laser marks them for extra but it's worth it because it looks great.
Angela

Sylvanite

What is the diameter of the top I need to turn for the 30-06 kit? Can I use any of the bushings I have now for some of the Penn State Kits?
The bushing for a Euro/Designer kit is close to the right diameter. I also make bushings out of 30-06 case heads. They don't last as long (because they are brass, not steel) but the diameter does match.

Regards,
Eric

traderdon55

I have never used the Penn State Kits. I make my kits from shell casings and have found one of the bushings from my polaris set matches perfectly.

Thelt

First try at the LittleRiver Kit

First try at the LittleRiver Kit. Pay no attention to the photography.

The upper barrel is turned from a rosewood blank. The top of the upper turning needs to be tapered down and the bottom needs to be a little wider. I have one more kit to try. Even with those errors, I still like the pen.

2vcf8s3.jpg

Thelt

I have never used the Penn State Kits. I make my kits from shell casings and have found one of the bushings from my polaris set matches perfectly.

I reckon I'll have to order a polaris bushing set jut to get it right. Or just play it by sight. I kinda like the way my first one looks at the top of the cartridge. It lets just enough of the 30-06 engraving show through to show it's a real bullet. The top of the pen needs work though. If I could get the top off and salvage the top and pocket clip I'd re-turn it.

traderdon55

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you you can buy a set of transfer punches for $9.99. They are perfect for taking pens apart and have all the sizes you need for the varios pen kits.

GregHight

It's really easy to make a pen out of a rifle casing and not sure why anyone would even buy a "kit" to make a pen out of any 30 caliber series casing. I buy spent casings from the local gun range for about .10 each for 30-06.

Thelt

It's really easy to make a pen out of a rifle casing and not sure why anyone would even buy a "kit" to make a pen out of any 30 caliber series casing. I buy spent casings from the local gun range for about .10 each for 30-06.

Maybe easy for you! I'm not the mechanically inclined type.

bracky1

I wouldn't mind experimenting myself but spent casings are as scarce as hens teeth, this side of the pond.

Sylvanite

If I could get the top off and salvage the top and pocket clip I'd re-turn it.

It should be easy to knock the finial (and clip) out of the upper barrel. Simply pull the top off, slip in any size punch you have that fits (and a #2 phillips screwdriver should work in a pinch), hold the barrel firmly by the wood, and tap it out with a hammer.

The slimline kit is one of the easiest to disassemble.

When turning the blank, use any bushing you have that is close in diameter to the case head for the lower end, and a slimline bushing for the upper.

I hope that helps,
Eric

GPDMTR25

I don't own a powder coating machine. I sell them and the people don't want to be polishing them all the time. I really don't like the look of the brass turning although some do.

Top Bottom