Looking for recommendations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Hello all. I've been back and forth emailing a potential customer about a pen. He wants a roller ball, so I figured I'd go with either a PSI Tycoon or Woodcraft Navigator. For the barrels he wants wood that is "something beautiful and figured with matching colored hardware." I recommended Honduras Rosewood Burl (if he's willing to spend a little more) or Amboyna Burl. My questions to all of you here are:

1. What hardware colors go best with these woods? (I think silver with the HRB and copper for the Amboyna)

2. What other good wood/hardware combos do you like that fit his request?

Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

You might want to try the Pen Design Studio on Penn State's website. It will allow you to try some different woods with different kits and finishes to see how it will look. Pretty slick program.

I personally like a gold finish pen with Rosewood Burl as I think it goes well with the warm colors in the wood. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

fernhills

I will 2nd the gold and HRB. i think the gold goes very well with Amboyna as well. I think the silver goes well with most of the Acrylics. Carl

broitblat

I've tried copper with Amboyna and didn't like the results, but that's just my personal preference. I would have expected it to look better, but after trying, I think it goes better with gold.

On the other hand, what about Box Elder with Black Ti. I've done this grey-on-grey and thought it looks pretty good (can't find the picture right now). YMMV

-Barry

dl351

Wow! Gold seems to be very popular! Thanks for the input. You see, I've only done one of each (Amboyna and HRB). I did the Amboyna with a Wall St II in copper that I like, and the HRB with a bright black Cigar, which I also like. Perhaps I like these combos in these particular pens because the copper and black are not overwhelming. Here's a picture:
4555928890_8aa3462c79.jpg

dl351

Oh! Box Elder Burl is very "swirly." That could look really nice!

Oh, and unless the potential customer has a preference, based on input so far, gold might be the way I go!

David Keller

I'll go against the group so far... I don't really like gold pens. Sometimes a little gold accent, but I genuinely dislike gold kits. I don't like gold jewelry, belt buckles, etc. I know quite a few people who feel the same. I'd definitely check with the customer about any preferences he/she might have. I like everything better with rhodium/chrome/black titanium kits.

Mr Vic

I'll second thaty David. Especially the Amboyna Burl. A nice sterling silver or Rhodium will really complement the would as opposed to pimping it out in gold. Simple but elegant...

dl351

Interesting. There are only a few woods that I really like gold with, but generally, I like silver/chrome, titanium, black, and if I want something similar to gold, then copper. I asked the customer and he said he'll leave the color choice up to me! I'd be fine with that, but there's about a $10 difference between standard gold and titanium finishes, so I think I'll have to ask him to decide. He really likes the HRB, so whatever goes well with that will work. Thanks for all of your input!

Top Bottom