Looking for REAL Irish Bog Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

massman

I have a customer looking for me to make a Statesman FP with Irish Bog Oak. I have not been able to find anything but Irish Bog Oak/Lace Bobbin??!! I have never worked Irish Bog, so I want to make sure I get the real stuff. What is Lace Bobbin? Can anyone lead me to the real Irish Bog Oak? Anything I need to know about working it?? How expensive is the good/real stuff?
Help is appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you've never turned it, buy a little extra. Turns like slightly brittle Red Oak. Finishing is not the simplest.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bernie - Expect it to be a little difficult to find bog oak large enough for a Statesman and when you do, be prepared to spend $10-15 (or more) a blank for it. It is chippy to turn and VERY challenging to finish well. You may find that either Russianwolf or keithkarl (both members here) can help you aquire the blanks.

Russianwolf

Don't fall for it, I have it on good authority that that genuine imitation Bog Plastic is actually real Bog Plastic which is only worth half as much as the genuine imitation Irish Elk Antler.

Bernie, PM sent. I got what you need most likely.

titan2

I have a customer looking for me to make a Statesman FP with Irish Bog Oak. I have not been able to find anything but Irish Bog Oak/Lace Bobbin??!! I have never worked Irish Bog, so I want to make sure I get the real stuff. What is Lace Bobbin? Can anyone lead me to the real Irish Bog Oak? Anything I need to know about working it?? How expensive is the good/real stuff?
Help is appreciated. Thanks

Here's an auction on e-bay 290301503055.....I've bought several items from him just recently......shipped it from the UK on Monday and I had it in California on Thursday! Also, you need to know what size of blank you need in 'Metric'.........

Here's a lace bobbin: newly made by a fellow in the UK.

Here's a lace bobbin c1850: see attach

Lace bobbins are used in hand made lace.

Barney

Attachments

• lace bobbin.jpg
    lace bobbin.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Russianwolf

Dave is a good source, I bought from him many times before finding my current suppliers. Only issue is the blanks often go for $10+ on ebay (I know as I usually watch them and make sure that they go high or come to me :biggrin: I can never have too much Bog Oak).

Russianwolf

I saw that piece and considered it. then lost track of time and forgot to bid. Good score.:biggrin:

I will have a bunch on it's way this weekend with over 2bf of 8/4+ stock in it for pipes/stoppers/etc.

How about some real danish bog oak!... i have quite a lot of it right now.

we have a lot of bogs in Denmark and since the country was covered in oak forrest around 5000 years ago there is bog oak to be found...

I have turned selvral pens, jewlry, platters and the like from the stuff i have

let me know

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Welcome, Rasmus!!1

And DO show your bog products!! Could open new doors for you and for US!!

Be prepared for questions on shipping costs, since everywhere in Europe seems to be different ---- Thanks!!

Top Bottom