Looking For Orange Stock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

I second that . Paduk is wonderful wood and it smells great!!! I have a thing about wood smells!

Rifleman1776

How about osage orange? Starts out kinda yellow and mellows to orange with age. If you can find some really old stuff it will be very attractive. Hard as all get out but still turnable. I have a block of something that is similar to OO but all we know about it is that it came from South America. The guy I bought it from says that when he was resawing it gave off a (pleasant) strong citrus aroma. You might look for SA citrus type woods.

vick

Paduk is a great wood but a word of warning, the wood has a natural dye in it and the saw dust will try to dye everything it touches. Last time I did a project with it my wife complained heavily on laundry day.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ken--I agree with Shane and Alice. Padauk (pronounced puh-duke') is a very nice orange wood that finishes beautifully. It ranges in color from a light pumpkin color to burnt orange.

Gary

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Ken--I agree with Shane and Alice. Padauk (pronounced puh-duke') is a very nice orange wood that finishes beautifully. It ranges in color from a light pumpkin color to burnt orange.

I have some padauk that started orange but turned red fairly quickly as it aged, and it wasn't exposed to sunlight.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Some of mine might be red too for all I know. I'm a bit color blind.
Originally posted by Gary
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Ken--I agree with Shane and Alice. Padauk (pronounced puh-duke') is a very nice orange wood that finishes beautifully. It ranges in color from a light pumpkin color to burnt orange.

I have some padauk that started orange but turned red fairly quickly as it aged, and it wasn't exposed to sunlight.

dougle40

I tend to agree with the Paduk suggestion . The 2 pics below will give you an idea as to what you can expect . The first is antique pine with a Paduk CB , the second is Walnut and Paduk (I think the second shows more red due to the background .

2005214153738_1%20004%20sm.jpg
<br />

0521415402_Perfume%20-%20Paduk-%20Walnut%20007-1-s.jpg
<br />

J. Fred Muggs

Ken:
Presuming that I know the particular shade of burnt orange that you seek, and the reason you seek it, the only way is to dye the wood. Box elder is one that dyes well. Or, use plastic. If sold a number of the orange PSI aquapearl pens to the same clientele I believe you're after.

If my guess is wrong, Padauk is as orange as it gets naturally.

Osage Orange will loose the orange color and eventually go to brown. If you can find some Pernambucao blanks you will find a lot of it has a nice orange color and it stays.

woodscavenger

Paduk seems to smell like coconut to me. I love it. I am working on a cross cut one that I think will be really cool. BTW Doug I really like that one with the wood CB. Nice shape to it. Is is comfortable writing?

dougle40

Nice shape to it. Is is comfortable writing?
They're very comfortable to write with . The small bulbous part on the bottom prevents the hand from sliding down on the shaft and eliminates the problem of having to grip the pen too hard to stop it from slipping . For someone with any sort of a problem in their hands (arthritis eg.) it makes writing much more pleasurable . I have a friend with arthritic hands and she says that she can write all day without any pain .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom