Looking for mid-size Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre4

Can anyone tell me what is a good mid-size Lathe? I am using a mini Lathe now but would like to go to somthing bigger, say at least 18" center and something with a 3 jaw chuck and easy to find accessories for and around 6 to $800.00. Also 110 volts, variable speed.

Thanks...Archie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clem

Archie about the best you are going to do in that price range is a Delta 14/42 iron bed $650.00 head stock does turn that you can turn outboard veriable speed 1 1/2 hp
it is only 14 inch max turning diamiter it 110 volt
to go to 18 inch $1500.00 plus and 220 volts clem

Jet 1236 (12") or Jet 1440 (14") are both in your price range

Jet 1640 is about $1900 (16")
Powermatic 3520 is about $2400 (20")
Vega 24" abot $2000

M

Mudder

Do you have a Woodcraft in the area?

If so take a look at this Lathe:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=4070&FamilyID=4402

It falls in the middle of your price range and is one nice machine.
I had one and was satisfied with it. I came into a small inheritance and decided to upgrade to a DVR but the Delta would be a good mid size for anyone.

The Jet is another option but it is beyond your stated range and used to be priced close to the delta before the big increase in Jet tools. Here it is for comparison:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID=4074&FamilyID=5225

Don't forget the used market. If you look around you may find someone selling an old Nova 3000 or a general Lathe that might be in your price range.

Hope this helps to get you off in the right direction.

alamocdc

Archie, check out this article from American Woodworker. Granted, it's a few years old, but it's all I could find and I'm not sure much has changed since then. It's still being listed on their current Buyer's Guide website anyway. http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/toolguide/TT_Lathes.pdf
Both they and Workbench magazine give the Craftsman 15" their stamp of approval (in your price range). The Delta 46-715 was rated Editor's Choice and the Craftsman got Best Buy. I've had mine since April and have been satified with it thus far. If I'd had the extra $300, I'd have probably gone with the Delta based on how happy I've been with my table saw. Just my two cents. And remember, advice is free and often you get what you pay for. [:p]

clem

Archie if you go to Billy B's post and go to to the AM.com he posted you will see the Delta 46-712 STAY AWAY from it we have people that have returned it for the Jet 14/42 it is a better lathe
the picture it the post with 4 guys lifting ITS that heavy the pair of legs alone 150 lbs the jet is better built
i sell these lathes speaking from experience clem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom