looking for a lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I bought mine brand new at Harbor Freight for that much, and was able to purchase the 2 year service plan with it.

It's not as nice as a Delta, but it's working well for me. I've think I may have seen a jet on Craigs list several months ago, but it was around $300, and didn't last long. Most of the lathes I see on CS around here were either not in my price range (about what yours is), or just weren't something I'd want.

I'm happy with mine. It's got enough power, and serves me well enough that I can use it. There are some accessories that I'd like to get when finances permit, but in the mean time I feel fortunate just to be able to turn pens.

With the Inside Track Club, I bought my lathe for $150 plus tax and the service plan. I had initially had the variable speed model with less power, but had to return it a couple times and eventually went with the higher model. There was a thread recently about HF lathes, and this model was mentioned by a few.

If you can get a better one of Craigslist great. I wish I could have, but I still haven't seen anything that would compare for the money.

Martin G

I second the suggestion for Craigslist. Lathes in that price range come up all the time up here in Austin. I would expect San Antonio to be very similar.

ironman123

looking for a lathe

The HF 5speed 10X18 works for me. Under 200 bucks including 2 year service policy. You have to change speeds by moving the belt.

No complaints yet.

Ray

OldGrumpy

Watch the classified forum here. There are a lot of members from your area. Better yet post a wanted item in the classifieds.

Parson

Luke, keep an eye on craigslist, but frankly, you should keep saving money and buy a new Jet like I did. I'm so glad I didn't buy some cheap or old beat up lathe. It's quiet and a real dream...

And the Jet lathes never sell for half of new price on craigslist in Houston. They actually sell for $50 off the new price at Rockler!

ironman123

Luke, I guess I am lucky. My HF Metal Lathes 7X10 and 9X20 I have used daily since 2005 with no trouble and a HF Micro Mill Drill I have also had since 2005.

I have heard some people say they got the same lathe as mine and had problems with it though.

Good hunting and hope you get the one you want.

Ray

Top Bottom