Looking for Knurl GT in Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I stand to be corrected ... I don't believe the Knurl GT is available as a rollerball, only as a twist ballpoint.

I have never tried to fit a rollerball refill to a ballpoint pen but it might be possible.

I have done it the other way around, but a slight modification to the internals of the pen is necessary, and you don't have retractability.

If you want to try fitting a rollerball refill to a Knurl GT, one of the problems you will face is that the ink will probably dry out fairly quickly ... the rollerball refill ink is designed to be used in a capped pen to prevent the drying of the ink (or slow down the drying). Another problem will be the possible leaking of the ink onto clothing, etc., even when the refill is retracted, as the ink is more fluid.

The rollerball refill is very nearly the same diameter as the ballpoint refill, so no problem in that regard. . But the rollerball refill is noticeably longer, so you would have to trim off part of the plugged end of the RB refill ... remove the little plug and shorten that end of the refill, then replace the plug.

I don't know if the shape of the RB refill top end will properly allow extension and retraction by the ballpoint click mechanism.

Another problem is that the writing end of the RB refill is not designed to accommodate a spring as required for ballpoint operation, but you might be able to add a short, narrow sleeve to the RB refill that would make this possible.

Please let us know any ideas you come up with ... I would be very interested.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

Ok, so she supplied me with the refill she uses as a nurse. It is a Pentel EnerGel LR7-A. It says roller pen refill and is about 3/32 longer than the Schneider 850, shaped similar with a plastic sheathe coming well down the shaft for the nib. In researching the Pentel refill, it talks about it being rollerball like and is used in an array of Pentel clicks and retractables.

Placing it loosely in the Knurl GT it raises and lowers with the movement and fits the nib end. I believe if I lengthen the tube and shorten the nib end spring it will work.

The refill seems to be a not quite roller ball gel blend that will work in retractables. We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MTViper

Why don't you go to Office Depot or Staples and get a Parker style gel refill. I think she'll get the performance she's looking for and you won't have to modify the kit. I have used gel refills for years and they work great and write smoothly. If you give her the chance to use a broken in Schmidt Easy Flow 9000 (Exotic Blanks) she'll love that too.

budnder

My wife was a strict Pilot G2 refill user until I got her to try EF 9000... now, if anything she prefers the EF 9000.

Even though they're "rollerball" size refills, maybe gel refills like the G2 and Energel aren't considered true rollerballs... they seem to be offered in non-capped click pens. So there must not be a drying out issue. I noticed with commercial G2 click pens that they retract farther into the body than something like a EF 9000. I know a gel pen will wick out easily i it comes in contact with something, so figured that extra retract might be a margin of safety.

Last edited:

Dehn0045

I use the Easy Flow 9000, gang, and love it. The request was to make something with a knurled nib that would use the Pentel EnerGel LR7-A.

Sorry, it was just a reflex, whenever I see Easy Flow 9000 I have an unstoppable need to post a positive response... Sorry I can't be more help with the gel refill, I hope you can get it worked out to your liking.

Brotherdale

Maybe you could buy the 10 inch 3/8 tubes and make a longer barrel that would hold that refil. I have a friend who wants a pen he can use the Pilot G2 refills in and I was thinking about doing this for him but haven't tried yet.

MRDucks2

71712ae373da4dc8085eecd6b0637fa4.jpg

OK, getting close on the rollerball conversion using Pentel refill. Give some opinions on refill extension amount. Pretty good or a little more? I know it's mostly a personal thing but wanting some feedback.

Top Bottom