Looking for invisible tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I can't seem to find them, they must be laying around here somewhere but I can't see them.

I need them because these blanks are over the limit transparent; you could read a newspaper through them. I tried the gaudy approach first, I painted the inside of the drill hole with matching paint and lots of silver sparkles; gaudy, blotchy and ugly. On another I poured acetone through the drill hole several times so it was smooth and clean; that makes it even more transparent. I could try a clear plastic tube or no tube next and just let the refill show, but I don't think that is going to look good.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_7397.jpg
    IMG_7397.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

markgum

in one of the sales magazine from either woodcraft, psi, or CSUSA; I saw a tube for acrylic. They were suppose to be enhance the translucent colour of the blank. I'll try and find them again.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Paint the inside of the hole silver or white to brighten the tube. Or Gold to give it a richer color.

When I did the Rose Petal pen (which has a truely clear blank) I sprayed the inside of the tube with Pearlescent paint followed by gold paint. It looks nice and not gaudy. Maybe the same thing would work for you.

1__MG_0297.jpg

GK

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'd go with a silver or a gunmetal colored tube. I think it would look great!
The pearl paint inside is a good idea, too. I like the blank, even though
it is more of a challenge to make it work..

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have noticed that many acrylic blanks on the market are getting more and more transparent, not like the old days!

I agree Mark.

Now, is that because they think we WANT it, or they are easier to make?? Particularly on these Taiwan and China blanks - is it intentional??

Chasper

If I just had a piece of the invisibility cloak that Harry Potter wore. . .

I tried a silver tube, but didn't glue it in and turn it down, it might work. Wouldn't painted silver look much like a silver tube? Pearlescent paint sounds interesting. It is a China blank.

I was thinking maybe gluing on petals from real African Violet flowers, maybe dipping them in a clear coat. Could I center the tube and pour resin around it in an oversized hole?

What if I took a white tube and put a decal on it? Maybe a decal with words so it looked like it was intended to be transparent so it could be read?

Russianwolf

being that transparent, you may want to paint the inside of the tubes since any pockets/bubbles/voids in the glue will be clearly visable.

I had a red blank that was similarly translucent when turned. I had glued the tubes in with GG and the effect of the foaming made a very interesting lava-like appearance. Now they have the white GG and so you may get a cool effect with that.

jleiwig

I was thinking maybe gluing on petals from real African Violet flowers, maybe dipping them in a clear coat. Could I center the tube and pour resin around it in an oversized hole?

This wouldn't be a bad idea in my mind. In practice..probably not as easy as it sounds.

Top Bottom