Looking for input - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Looking for input

I have been having issues getting my holes centered on my blanks. Last night I ruined 4 Lace Wood blanks. Between the cost and the frustration, I'm thinking its time to look at using the lathe to drill.

As with most, I don't have a ton on money to drop on this upgrade. My lathe takes MT2 and I'm trying to find the best, most budget friendly chuck. So far, I have been looking at the Nova 48111. Any input from anyone?

If I do go with this chuck, do I also need to get Pen Jaws?

Are there other alternatives that I should be looking into?

Thanks to all for any assistance.
TexasRN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 37

I've been using the Nova G3 with the pin jaws for drilling/squaring my pen blanks. There are probably better options, but it seems to work alright.
brailsmt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can get a drill chuck for your lathe. I have a 1/2" chuck and it's been able to do everything I've needed so far. One thing to consider is there anything you might want to do later that if you spend a little more money now for a "Chuck" that will do more than just drill a blank you will save buying an additional tool later.
Kenny Durrant is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 498

On the link you posted, it does not appear that the pen jaws come with it. There may be some holiday sales coming?

The IAP Collection is a permanent collection of pens
that has been established from the
IAP Membership explicitly for the purpose of
public display, preservation and inspiration.
mark james is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRN View Post
I have been having issues getting my holes centered on my blanks. Last night I ruined 4 Lace Wood blanks. Between the cost and the frustration, I'm thinking its time to look at using the lathe to drill.

As with most, I don't have a ton on money to drop on this upgrade. My lathe takes MT2 and I'm trying to find the best, most budget friendly chuck. So far, I have been looking at the Nova 48111. Any input from anyone?

If I do go with this chuck, do I also need to get Pen Jaws?

Are there other alternatives that I should be looking into?

Thanks to all for any assistance.
Being you have that chuck you can buy just pen jaws for it. Stand corrected. If you do buy this chuck then add the pen jaws. You will need a drill chuck also so get a 1/2" for sure.

I started out using the dedicated pen jaws from PSI but they had all kinds of problems and not sure if they corrected but I would stay away from them. I did buy a better set of those and they work well. They are the Vicmark set and yes they are pricey but 10 times better than PSI
http://www.timberbits.com/vicmarc-pen-blank-chuck

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4qtv80lx72_e

My Photo Album

Last edited by jttheclockman; 12-11-2018 at 10:18 AM.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 76

In my opinion, you do not need pen jaws, which in my experience always lack accuracy.

You do need a Jacobs chuck for your tailstock, in order to hold the drill bit.
You must also have a live center for mounting in your tailstock. . You will used both of these items a lot.

Before you drill the blank, you should round it. The rounding does not have to be perfect. It is easier to grip a (roughly) rounded blank in the chuck you pictured.

You can round the blank quite accurately on your lathe by following this procedure.
Make a small (roughly) centered hole in each end of the blank (assumed to be sort of square).
Use a dead center (60 degree can work; steb center is better) in the headstock.
Use the live center (60 degree) in tailstock.
Mount the blank between the two centers (tips in the small holes at ends of blank).
Turn the blank round.

If you want, you can roughly round one end of the blank using a sander. . Then grip that end in your headstock chuck jaws and use the live center at the other end. . Then turn the rest of the blank round.

Maybe you can grip one end of a square blank (as is) in your headstock chuck. . Use the live center to steady the other end, and turn round.

Once you have a rounded blank, you can easily grip it at one end in your headstock chuck.

Grip lightly at first and align the blank with the lathe bed using the live center as your guide to do this.

Then remove the live center, replacing it with the Jacobs chuck and drill bit.

Don't drill with the lathe speed too high. . A low speed is better, at least for starting the hole. . Back out the drill often to remove swarf

Last edited by magpens; 12-11-2018 at 11:54 AM.
magpens is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 1

I don't see a problem unless you are drilling a segmented blank and need perfect concentricity. You are going to turn the blank to match the hole with a mandrel or centres anyway why the concern? Or are you drilling out of the side of the blank?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 10

I use the cheap Jacobs chuck with attached MT2 from HF--closing in on 300 pens made using it and it's still fine. I have the large PSI pen drilling chuck and it also works great. I like that it's large enough to handle bottle stoppers and even larger blanks.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Many folks use the lathe to drill and prefer it and many others use the drill press.
You have not explained how the blanks became ruined using the drill press. I would suggest looking closely at your drilling procedure to see where the problem lies. Is it drilling speed( RPM), or advancing the drill too fast? Type of drill bit?....sharpness of bit? Table angle, blank clamping method?
As far as the drilled hole being “centered” in the rough blank, that shouldn’t matter as long as there is still enoug material to achieve the finished dimensions for the particular pen you are turning.

Note the Nova chuck you listed is only for a 1” spindle and will not fit a lathe with a larger spindle if you upgrade in the future, you can usually get the Nova G3 for around $100 when on sale. It will need an adapter $$ to fit your 1” spindle or you may find one which is set up for 1” only.....but back to the same issue. If you can swing it, I would go for the G3. One locking wrench is easier than two tommy bars.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
I don't see a problem unless you are drilling a segmented blank and need perfect concentricity. You are going to turn the blank to match the hole with a mandrel or centres anyway why the concern? Or are you drilling out of the side of the blank?
Exactly,,,,I am too far off center and leaving so narrow a side that I was able to collapse it with minimal pressure from my fingers. I have also had issues with the drill bit no being parallel with the bland and my hole being skewed. Not too sure that the skewing is that much of an issue other than that it is frustrating.
TexasRN is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads