Looking for ideas- odd comission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kingkeyman

The bowling alley that I frequent is called Turkeyfoot Lanes. The pro shop guy came up with a real turkey's foot and asked me to make him a pen with it. I have a few ideas of my own, but I would like to pick your collective brains. Right now I am leaning towards a realistic cigar type pen, but at this stage I'll consider anything. Here is a picture of the foot in question. Keep in mind that this is like a dry chicken bone. Not very strong or stable.

Attachments

• WIN_20141001_201255.jpg
    WIN_20141001_201255.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
S..T Dave, that's one UGLY pen blank!!!!!

I'd suggest some "Dinosaur Barbecue - Wango Tango Sauce." Pretty good stuff and does wonders for edible pen blanks!!!

Oh... I've been to that bowling alley many moons ago!!!

Akula

I would rather find some nice maple and make some pens LOL I got a lot from the last bowling alley that closed down. Turkey feathers would look ok. I got nothing to offer for the turkey foot.

TimS124

Maybe soak it so the skin is flexible again, then peel (carefully) the skin off...make a blank like the snakeskin blanks with the skin from the foot...

SteveG

How about a desk pen of some type or another. Then the "Foot" itself could easily be incorporated into a base. That way you get the best of both worlds: good utilization of the desired theme and body parts, matched up with a nice pen (perhaps made of the same wood as the 'alley' lane material.

Abby

I'm not sure how to pull it off (how to solidify/stabilize the foot part) but if you could cut off the knuckle of the upper leg and drill a 7mm blank hole in the foot end (I've drilled deer antler ends but they're more solid). Make that the upper blank and make 7 mm lower blank out of ebonite from a bowling ball. What a conversation piece that would be at that facility.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Maybe some Antler Bone (trash the bird-bones), and you can simply say... "Well, the bones came out OK..."

OK, I'm grappling at ... turkey toes... :bananen_smilies027:

Sorry, this is just too funny!

Abby

Just another thought. Take a photo of the turkey leg and mount that on the top of a cigar pen mad with wood from the allies. Make the bottom of the cigar pen from ebonite from a bowling ball.

Tom T

I like the desk holder with the foot in it for the pen to sit in and turkey feathers for the pen itself. John U may have a turkey feather blank, or Ed may, or some one else on the sight.

The only other way is to find some one to shrink the foot for you.

PR_Princess

I like the idea of making a pen (or ink bottle?) holder out of the turkey toes. They seem to be already curved to a conducive shape. (eww)

What about a bowling ball (material) pen to go with the turkey toe holder? Or perhaps one out of an old fashioned turkey quill?

I don't envy you your commission!

Ironwood

Could you use the Turkey foot to make a mould, then cast a blank with some realistically colored resin, then drill out the leg bone section to take the brass tube of the kit of your choice .
I have never made moulds before, so I don't know if it's possible.

Top Bottom