Looking for great blue curly maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petricore

Wasn't quite sure if this should go in classifieds or not since I assume I will end up buying this from a company. But I have a customer who wants a deep blue curly maple sierra. The best one I've seen was one someone used food coloring on, but I will probably be looking at buying a stabilized dyed blank from somewhere. I know AZsillouette has one but no pic, and I know berea has one, but their picture kind of sucks, so I was hoping you guys could point me to a good source, and possibly show me kits youve made with the stuff (checked show off pens forum, but most of them people dyed themselves).
Thanks,
Linc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

If you dye it yourself you have more control over how dark or light you make the chosen colour, plus some that are professionally dyed the colour doesn`t always get absorbed in the blank centre.

Petricore

ligget - do you just apply it after youve sanded and finished or what is your process ? How fade resistant is this method ?
I'd definately prefer one someone has already made since I dont have a grip of time right now (in school).

Scott

Hi Linc,

I like using colored Sharpies or Prismacolor markers (both by Sanford). They both seem to be fairly fade resistant. I have one curly maple I did with a blue Sharpie that is now about four years old, and I can't perceive that it has faded at all.

Just turn and sand as usual. Apply the color. I usually wipe down lightly with some alcohol. If it wipes enough off that it is too light, I apply some more color. If you want to have some fun, use two shades of blue, one color on each end of the blank, overlapping slightly in the middle, then use a paper towel with a little alcohol on it to blend the colors in the middle. It's a neat effect, like you're fading from one color to the other. After I get the color where I want it, I do a CA finish, but other finishes would work as well.

If you're stuck on buying a colored blank, I always use Arizona Silhouette. BTW, I like Bill's curly poplar better than the curly maple. Amazing chatoyance!

Have Fun!

Scott.

Petricore

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could see a picture of the curly poplar he sells. I've emailed him so we shall see if he has one that isnt on the site :)

Petricore

I've decided to try dying it myself. Does the dying work well on stabilized woods, or do I have to find some quilted poplar that is unstabilized ?

Mikey

I saw the blue IIRC over at the Beartoothwoods website. I know Berea used to carry it, but they discontiinued them after their old supplier stopped doing them or raised the prices too much, I forget which. I know I have made several with blue dyed CM and they come out amazing with a really nice shimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom