Looking for a good pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I'm looking for a good pen press to assemble pens. I have always used a drill press which I like but with several people working in the shop at the same time, I need to get either a pen press or another drill press... and a pen press is a bit cheaper. I've seen several different ones on the web but don't know which ones would be better. If you know of a good one, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Bar clamp .... Better yet, hold the tail of the bar clamp in a vice so you don't have to support the clamp as you arrange parts and press them. Make sure your bar clamp has the little nylon/plastic covers to avoid damaging your components ... or you could put little blocks of wood on the bar clamp ends, too.

PenPal

I use two the first is a bearing press,thin Corian on the the base and stem. Since I sit to turn on a swivel chair I finish the pen, swivel and press. For longer pens I use the Xylis.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 192

Brian G

Seth, I'm answering specific to your question about pen presses, not myriad other ways people press pen parts together.

I have the Woodcraft Deluxe version mounted vertically on the wall.

What I like:

The quick adjust feature makes adjusting for different lengths quick.
The microadjustment with the threaded rod makes fine tuning 7 mm transmission depth easy.

What I don't like:

The handle where it joins the press is a weak point.
The brass pusher can mar odd-shaped finials. I adhered a piece of toolbox liner on the brass pusher.

It's pricey compared to the PSI mutlipurpose assembly/disassembly press, which I'd consider if I was spending the money today.

I don't regret purchasing a dedicated pen press rather than cheaping out and using something else that works, but might not have the sensitivity or ability to fine tune.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I use two the first is a bearing press,thin Corian on the the base and stem. Since I sit to turn on a swivel chair I finish the pen, swivel and press. For longer pens I use the Xylis.

Peter, the first pict is just like the Harbor Freight ones here. I have that and like its versatility. But I sure would like to have a Xylis. I have bid on a couple on eBay a couple of times but got out bid both times.

Rolandranch

Thank you all for your input. This discussion was very helpful to me. There are a lot of great options that I didn't know about before. I think I've got what I need now.

Thanks again!

Skie_M

Seth, I'm answering specific to your question about pen presses, not myriad other ways people press pen parts together.

I have the Woodcraft Deluxe version mounted vertically on the wall.

What I like:

The quick adjust feature makes adjusting for different lengths quick.
The microadjustment with the threaded rod makes fine tuning 7 mm transmission depth easy.

What I don't like:

The handle where it joins the press is a weak point.
The brass pusher can mar odd-shaped finials. I adhered a piece of toolbox liner on the brass pusher.

It's pricey compared to the PSI mutlipurpose assembly/disassembly press, which I'd consider if I was spending the money today.

I don't regret purchasing a dedicated pen press rather than cheaping out and using something else that works, but might not have the sensitivity or ability to fine tune.

A good point, made by Brian ... do you have a disassembly setup or solution in the shop in case of needing to dismantle a pen already?

PSI does have a decent deal on an assembly/disassembly kit complete with transfer punches in an appropriate range of sizes to use, plus extra gripper tube.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html

It comes out at 70 dollars, plus shipping and handling, but a lot of people have liked it. I have one, myself, but I still use my little Harbor Freight Drill Press Vice (with vinyl jaws that replaced the steel jaws) just because it's convenient and handy for assembly ... for disassembly, I like the new kit.

So, if you haven't gotten something already for dismantling pens and are also wanting to buy something for pressing pens, this is an excellent solution to both problems. It also gives you the transfer punches which makes flush sanding on the lathe quick and easy too.

keithlong

Google wooden pen press and you will find free plans to make one. I made one and it works great. Made mine from red oak scraps. The only cost was for the screws and wing nuts, a cost of a couple bucks and a few hours time.

Rolandranch

A good point, made by Brian ... do you have a disassembly setup or solution in the shop in case of needing to dismantle a pen already?

PSI does have a decent deal on an assembly/disassembly kit complete with transfer punches in an appropriate range of sizes to use, plus extra gripper tube.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPRESSXL.html

It comes out at 70 dollars, plus shipping and handling, but a lot of people have liked it. I have one, myself, but I still use my little Harbor Freight Drill Press Vice (with vinyl jaws that replaced the steel jaws) just because it's convenient and handy for assembly ... for disassembly, I like the new kit.

So, if you haven't gotten something already for dismantling pens and are also wanting to buy something for pressing pens, this is an excellent solution to both problems. It also gives you the transfer punches which makes flush sanding on the lathe quick and easy too.
Thank you. I have seen PSI's assembly/disassembly press. I'm not sure that it would work for disassembling extremely tight things, though. I do most of my disassembling with the transfer punches and a hammer, holding the blank in my hand so as not to damage the blank. This works well unless the component is extremely tight. I don't think that PSI's disassembly press would hold the blank tight enough without damaging it... I don't know if it is even possible to disassemble something that tight without damaging the blank with any tool. However, having not owned one of these new presses I really don't know how well it works for disassembly. What do you think?

tomas

Top Bottom